Regulator...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
OK, I've asked around a few times, but now I have to start a thread on the subject.

Can anyone enlighten me (and others) as to HOW a regulator works?

How do you know if gas/air is being transferred? (I heard nothing) How much? What does turing the screw do for you? And why does the dial indicator go up and down when turning the screw?

I just got a tank filled, but the second gage reads I need to refill the tank...personally, I think it's DOA. I turned the knob off last night and this morning both gages were reading nedds to refill and the other at 20 psi.

I'm sure there are other questions, but that's all I can think of at the moment...

The regulator works by balancing the output pressure diaphragm against a spring. Turning the screw changes the spring force, which changes the balance & output pressure. Since the volume in the regulator is very small you won't hear anything until you connect to a cornie.

When you connect a cornie, gas flows until the cornie is at the same pressure. How much that is depends on how much head space is in the cornie.

The high pressure gage reading depends on temperature until the tank is almost empty. Needles can also get stuck because the back plate is bent.

Sounds like you have a small leak. Tighten the tank/regulator nut 1/8 turn to try fixing it.

One of my regulators leaks, I just keep the tank shut off most of the time.

You might also need a new O-ring at the reg to tank valve coupling. Mine was pretty beat up. I found that the larger corny post O-ring is close enough to work.

If you turn the tank on and the high pressure gauge reads 800-900 PSI, you're good. If you turn the tank off now and the high pressure gauge starts going down, you're leaking from somewhere and as I said, it could be at the tank joint or somewhere in the lower pressure side like the output shutoff valve. Get everything connected and then do the soapy water test.

I found this and pasted it for you. Hope it helps. Temperature will definitely affect the way a regulator reads by a lot. My gages always say I need to order gas cause the tanks are always cold.

The regulator is attached to the high-pressure CO2 cylinder by the cylinder coupling nut. The regulator is attached to the keg through a low-pressure port; regulators have a shutoff valve installed in this port, which allows the brewer to conveniently, quickly, and absolutely shut off CO2 flow to the keg. When the valve's lever is perpendicular to the valve stem, the shutoff valve is closed; it is open when the lever is parallel to the stem.

The regulator has two pressure gauges. The high pressure gauge, opposite the coupling nut, measures the pressure inside the CO2 cylinder in pounds per square inch. The low pressure gauge, located on the top of the regulator body, measures the internal regulator pressure. If this pressure is greater than the pressure inside the keg, the regulator will deliver gas to the keg until the regulator pressure and the keg pressure are equal. You can simultaneously increase the regulator's internal pressure and the pressure in the keg by turning the regulator's adjusting screw clockwise. You can decrease the regulator's internal pressure (but not the keg pressure) by turning the adjusting screw counterclockwise.

The regulator also contains a pressure relief valve that will help to protect the regulator from damage if the internal regulator pressure gets too high.

I thought this photo could be a useful part of this discussion so that people could see what is going on inside.

regulator.jpg

Item Description
1. 60 lb Regulator Gauge - (RHT)
2. 3000 lb Regulator Gauge - (LHT)
3. Bonnet Assembly
4. Button-Spring Retainer
5. Bonnet Spring - Premium 640 Series Regulators
6. Fiber Washer
7. Diaphragm Assembly
8. Repair Kit, Premium Series Primary Regulators
9. Seat Spring
10. Shut Off
11. Chrome CO2 Nut
12. CO2 Inlet Stem
13. Inlet CO2 Filter
14. Nylon CO2 Inlet Seal
15. Inlet Seal Retaining Nut

Me too! It's a great regulator! I also have a premium secondary regulator from Micromatic. The quality of the regulators from Micromatic is second to none.

1162.jpg

Back