Any good use for a 7.75gal pony keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them for my MLT and HLT/BK. Great for a 5 gallon setup.

3194-finished-setup.jpg

FERMENTER! Pull the spear and slap an orange carboy cap on there & you're ready to rock!

I use them for my MLT and HLT/BK. Great for a 5 gallon setup.

3194-finished-setup.jpg

Those are pony kegs or 1/4 barrel. Nice setup BTW. Full kegs are called 1/2 barrels. Not what I would consider a corney keg. Someone recently asked about taller 7.75 gallon kegs a while back, which sound very cool.

If it has the single spear in the center it is considered a "sanke" keg. While still a cool score not as easy to use as a corney. You can't get your hand it to scrub or inspect so cleaning it becomes more of a chore where you would probably have to create a pump type of system. Also because of their height they would limit the number of beers you can store if you use it for kegging.

If you get this type of 1/4 barrel in the photo I suggest using it as a fermenter after removing the spear or as a boil kettle for 5 gallons batches.

I just acquired one of the tall variety of 7.75 gallon kegs, it has the same proportions as a Corny keg. Not much good as a keggle, but it will make an awesome fermenter. I am looking forward to using it soon.

Those are pony kegs or 1/4 barrel. Nice setup BTW. Full kegs are called 1/2 barrels. Not what I would consider a corney keg. Someone recently asked about taller 7.75 gallon kegs a while back, which sound very cool.

If it has the single spear in the center it is considered a "sanke" keg. While still a cool score not as easy to use as a corney. You can't get your hand it to scrub or inspect so cleaning it becomes more of a chore where you would probably have to create a pump type of system. Also because of their height they would limit the number of beers you can store if you use it for kegging.

If you get this type of 1/4 barrel in the photo I suggest using it as a fermenter after removing the spear or as a boil kettle for 5 gallons batches.

Cleaning isn't so bad... Just use the same keg cleaner (or corny cleaner) that you use on your other kegs... Most LHBS, or HBS would have them in stock... Just needs a drill to run it along the inside of the keg...

I did that on four 1/6 Sanke kegs I picked up last week. Still need to finish cleaning one (it was more dirty than the other three)...

BTW, a large universal bung fits into the hole vacated by the spear...

Also, in case you are getting one that has not been taken apart, I suggest having it outside, cover the top hole with a towel/rag and use a large screwdriver to depress the center ball... If you don't use the towel/rag then I hope you don't mind taking another shower, and changing your clothes. I got a good spray from the first one I did that to. I had to clean the brew off the kitchen ceiling too... :drunk: I did the rest in the bathroom tub and covered the center hole with the towel. I still had one that was over-excited and it sprayed the shower wall with brew... It didn't matter though, since that was easy to wash off.

Once the pressure is released, it's much easier to pull the retaining rings from above the spears.

Also, in case you are getting one that has not been taken apart, I suggest having it outside, cover the top hole with a towel/rag and use a large screwdriver to depress the center ball..

+1

My first sanke sprayed all over the room I started opening it in. It had been abandoned in someones garage and sat there for years. There were many gallons in it. I was able to drag it out the front door where it sprayed all over my car and the front yard for maybe 30 minutes.

Ewwwww....thats just nasty!

See, now you know for when YOU get your first Sanke keg and want to go take it apart... I didn't cover that much, and only got a fraction of a second spray to the face, ceiling, my front, etc. from my first keg... Then, after I cleaned the ceiling, I used the tub to get them grained... Once the pressure is released, the spear comes out easily. Was wondering why it was so difficult to remove the retention ring before that... :rolleyes:

Lessons learned... Glad I have access to a washer and drier in the basement. :D

I would not recommend making a keggle out of it. I have one and have done about 12 brews in it. I am now working on a 1/2 keg conversion because there just doesn't seem to be enough room in the 1/4 Keggle. Just my opinion...

I would not recommend making a keggle out of it.

I'd agree. You can make good beer on stove top using 5 gallon batches. Given the cost, efforts and potential of a keggle you should go for a full size 1/2 barrel if you are going to put in the effort. You can either brew 5 gallon or 10 gallon+ in a full size keggle.

Use it as a fermenter. Use an orange carboy cap with a pipe clamp to hold it on. As an added bonus of this setup you can use a racking cane in one hole of the carboy cap and CO2 in the other hole to force the racking or start a siphon if the fermenter is higher than the vessel receiving the beer.

Thanks all.
I'll probably go ahead and pick it up and ponder it later.
I have several full 1/2 kegs to keggle-ize, so this one would probably be a fermenter if I keep it after it's all shiny.

I'd agree. You can make good beer on stove top using 5 gallon batches. Given the cost, efforts and potential of a keggle you should go for a full size 1/2 barrel if you are going to put in the effort. You can either brew 5 gallon or 10 gallon+ in a full size keggle.

I would disagree somewhat with this statement. I use a 1/4 barrel (pony) keg as a keggle and am able to do full boil 5 gallon batches in it. I did it because it was free (parents found it in the backyard when they bought a new house), and I didnt really plan on using it for anything else.

If the idea of using it as a fermenter doesnt appeal to you, do not give up on the keggle idea. Unless you have any plans of going bigger than 5 gallons, then just sell it and get a bigger pot/keg.

Back