Sankey Keg Top with Picture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
IMG_20100921_200254.jpg

I've seen videos, especially by Yuri.

Nobody's keg looks like mine. I'm starting to think my friend got the ultra hardcore keg that nobody can tamper with.

Is there a way to get this puppy open or should I skip it and cut my hole to make it a 15g boil pot?

It should unscrew - put a screwdriver on the side of one of those two tabs and bang it with a hammer to get it started (lefty-loosie) and it should unscrew.

Yeah - I've heard stories there are some screw-style Sankeys, but I've never seen one. I sure can't see any evidence of a snap ring on yours !

I think our moms lied!

Seriously though, I took a hammer and screw driver to every possible opening. Nothing moves and I can't get a wedge to happen.

It's probably stuck from the beer. If you're not trying to save the stem you could try giving it a good wack straight down around the edge with a cold chisel or something hard to try and break the sticky free. Otherwise just make sure you get the keg depressurized and cut away.

Your keg is normal.
Make sure you release the pressure before you hammer out the split ring.
Stick a broom handle in there and get the beer out.

Your keg is normal.
Make sure you release the pressure before you hammer out the split ring.
Stick a broom handle in there and get the beer out.

if you can see any evidence of a snap ring in his pic - your eyesight is better than mine.

I can see what appears to be the tail of a thread at @ the 2:00 position if I squint a little.

I have done a few of those,its screwed in. and it have a clip inside to keep it from coming all the way out. but its pretty simple really. and you can spin it on and off after you take the clip out.

I don't know about your area but I traded an empty keg I had for another empty one at my local store. You might see if you could just take that one back and trade it for another one with a spiral ring. No special tools needed just a screwdriver.

Have you thought about cutting off the bottom and flipping it? then you have a threaded bottom drain, no weld. make it a mash or hlt. I have been kicking myself for not doing mine like that.

just be sure to lay it on its side before you depressurize it.. other wise you be bathing in old nasty beer..
I just depressurize and cut, don't pull the spear till after I'm done.

Back