Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this ends up being a stupid question....

I brewed this Tuesday and racked it to my plastic carboy, cleared up within a few minutes as the true settled and looked beautiful, nice deep amber color. Still looked that way after fermentation started up until mid day yesterday.. next time I looked at it (just a few minutes ago) its a super cloudy milky tan, is this just how s05 acts or have I gotten my first infection?

Yes I would like 12 gallons, plan to keg half then bottle the other half. Plus I've been hung up on an IPA fix and need something different. I had planed on doubling the pumpkin so I bought 4 cans, but I just need to figure out the spices.

Why wouldn't you just double them like everything else? Or I guess since it is a 5 gallon recipe you would just scale it up like everything else. It's a fairly simple calculation: 1.5 tbsp./5 gallons = 0.3 tbsp./gallon. 0.3 tbsp./gallon x 12 gallons = 3.6 tbsp.

I brewed this Tuesday and racked it to my plastic carboy, cleared up within a few minutes as the true settled and looked beautiful, nice deep amber color. Still looked that way after fermentation started up until mid day yesterday.. next time I looked at it (just a few minutes ago) its a super cloudy milky tan, is this just how s05 acts or have I gotten my first infection?

Does it have a nice krausen, or is it looking sickly there as well? Most of the time when the yeast is working away, they will be going all over the place. From the sounds of it, you just have a healthy fermentation on your hands. It's hard to say without seeing/smelling it. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Sit back, grab a beer, and give it some time.

Yeah this just sounds like the normal churning you get with fermentation. The yeast producing all of that CO2 is kicking up all of the trub and mixing everything up. Once active fermentation settles down the trub should settle back out.

Just threw 60oz of pumpkin into the oven with some brown sugar to roast for an hour

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408106111.181373.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick question, I'm going to brewing this tomorrow (BIAB) and I want to make sure I'm calculating my volumes correctly. I have the 4lbs Libby's pumpkin, but I'm not sure how to adjust my water volume for my mash. The pumpkin wouldn't use the same (roughly) 2qts water / 1 lb grain. It's not a "grain" after all, but it is fermentable. Thanks!

So I will be brewing this up on Monday and wanted some input about how I was going to go about it.

(1) roast pumpkin puree until nice and browned on top.
(2) Mix puree in to the strike water really well instead of mixing it in the mash tun.
(3)Pour this strike mixture in to my tun once it has reached desired temp.
(4) Mix in pre soaked rice hulls followed by grains.

Does this sound like it would work? or does it sound like it will end in tragedy?

Brewing a kind of punkin ale tomorrow!! With a few variations on the original recipe.. doubled, red, IPA-ish!! And I DGAF what anyone thinks!! I'm born and raised in DAGO baby! Where we take beer to levels beyond imagination! That's part of the fun in what we do isnt it??

I just pulled my pumpkin out of the oven and it smells amazing! I'm doing my brew day setup right now while the pumpkin cools, I've been following this thread for quite awhile and am very excited to get this first batch on the go :D

Brewed this last night. Second year doing it. Smelled amazing going into the fermenter. Should've pulled a cup and added some bourbon.

Mash temp was low, so I decided about a gallon to raise the temp. Got it up to 154.

rounding up the ingredients for this recipe. Have brewed this twice and love it. Especially sitting outside on a fall night by a fire. Will be trying this with BIAB for the first time. I hope the wort will drain ok from the bag. Thanks again for this recipe.

This is all doughed in and ready to be wrapped up for mashing :) Only 10 minutes left untill I start the boil. So far I hit the mash temp bang on and it smells outstanding!

1408218862864.jpg

Does anyone have a different write up of the recipe. The very first post is confusing me a bit. Has anyone re-written for themselves in the typical recipe format?

Filled my mash tun to the top! Ended up wjth 1.085 post boil gravity, and it smells and tastes simply amazing!

I look forward to tasting this! Tried steeping a bit less special roast and added some victory to compensate. Hopefully I didnt mess it up. Briess state it can be steeped but I assume I won't get as strong of a biscuit taste as if it was mashed! Thanks for the recipe! Hit 1.070!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408285663.491164.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408301127.683628.jpg

Idk why I have such trouble taking pictures of my brew day! This is all I had.

Brewed this on Friday hit 1.07. Was hoping for a bit higher but the hydrometer sample tastes freaking awesome!!

Thanks Reno for the recipe!

Sent from myPhone

Going to post a YouTube vid of me brewing this one. I will post the link soon. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewed it today so I have to clip edit etc. chilling it right now and about to pitch the yeast. It's so damn hot in houston today. Not sure why I'm brewing all grain this time of year lol

Whirlpool? I dunno what that means lol

You stir the bejeezus out of the kettle while you're chilling. The whirlpool action makes all of the trub settle into a cone in the bottom and you can siphon out crystal clear wort like in your image.
Whirlpool? Not sure what you are asking.

You stir the bejeezus out of the kettle while you're chilling. The whirlpool action makes all of the trub settle into a cone in the bottom and you can siphon out crystal clear wort like in your image.
Whirlpool? What does that mean?

Sorry for the five hundred replies. App is acting weird and I thought it wasn't letting me post.

No problem. But to clarify:

;) :mug:

LOL..... looks like I have met my match with smartasses haha. 😆 I am uploading the video as I post this. I will share the link tomorrow as youtube takes a while to upload hd vids.

Just watched your video. Thank you so much. Awesome setup you have and very informative on the video

My picture won't upload, but I just took an OG of 1.084. I hope this bad boy doesn't dry out too much. Great tasting wort. Pitching two packets of 04 at 70 F. Blowoff tube forsure on this one.

Not the appropriate thread but since we're on the subject, how do you make a high ABV beer without "drying it out"?

Mash it at a temp closer to 158 should help keep it from drying out. Also using some unfermentable sugars will help combat dryness.

Sent from myPhone

Back