I need better temp control, where to look for fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
I've decided that I'm sick and tired and battling over the house thermostat to keep my temps stable for my ales. I want to set up a fridge with a temperature control thermostat so I can have total power over my fermentation temps without even thinking about the house thermostat. I know I can get the fridge control thermostat from northernbrewer or other sites, but I'm stumped as to what to do for the fridge.

I'd like it if the fridge could fit 3 carboys or ale pails at once and I definitely don't need a freezer. I think a smallish commercial fridge from a convenience store or something would be perfect for this but I have no clue about where to look for those. Anyone have any suggestions?

Craigslist - or commercial restaurant supply that deals in used. . . however they are going to be more money than a used freezer.

You can also contact independent repair techs who sometimes fix up older equipment and resell them.

I've decided that I'm sick and tired and battling over the house thermostat to keep my temps stable for my ales. I want to set up a fridge with a temperature control thermostat so I can have total power over my fermentation temps without even thinking about the house thermostat. I know I can get the fridge control thermostat from northernbrewer or other sites, but I'm stumped as to what to do for the fridge.

I'd like it if the fridge could fit 3 carboys or ale pails at once and I definitely don't need a freezer. I think a smallish commercial fridge from a convenience store or something would be perfect for this but I have no clue about where to look for those. Anyone have any suggestions?

Let me google that for you...

classifieds - craigslist

Temp controller:
Johnson Controls A19 AAA-49C - eBay (item 160357064985 end time Aug-30-09 07:17:29 PDT)

OK! That's excellent. I didn't realize a chest freezer would work, nor did I know that's what they were called. This will be excellent. Do either of you have a similar setup?

Yep, I have a 15.8 cu.ft. freezer with that same Johnson controller. Got my freezer for $60. It needed a quart of Rustoleum, but it runs great. It holds about 6 carboys.

A 10 cu. ft. is a good size. Mine is a monster, and probably much bigger than I needed. I would rather have two smaller ones, but I am not really complaining. It makes good beer.

Thanks for the heads up on the controller. I just picked it up. Good deal. Almost paid $62 for the exact same one today.

Back