Pale Malt and Crystal Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fighting_sin

Reaction score
What would happen if I steeped 1 pound of 2 row pale malt with 1 pound of 10 lovibond crystal malt at 150 degrees for 30 minutes? What about 45 minutes? Will I get any fermentable sugars out of the crystal malt, or will this just result in flavors and mouthfeel? I am a beginner extract brewer and thinking about doing this steep (or minimash?) and adding it to my extract recipe. Thanks.

Congratulations! You've just done your first partial mash! Now just up it to 10 pounds and you'll be brewing all grain! Seriously though, to get maximum conversion of the 2-row, you should steep it for at least 45 minutes in 153° water. Rinse the grains with 170° water, combine the liquid then start your boil. Making beer is pretty simple huh?;)

1lb of 2 row and 1lb of 10L in a 5 gallon batch would be 1.011SG...you'll obviously be adding DME but it's a good start.

Congratulations! You've just done your first partial mash! Now just up it to 10 pounds and you'll be brewing all grain! Seriously though, to get maximum conversion of the 2-row, you should steep it for at least 45 minutes in 153° water. Rinse the grains with 170° water, combine the liquid then start your boil. Making beer is pretty simple huh?;)

Not in "153°F water"...the mash ITSELF needs to be at 153 or so, so be sure to raise the temp on the water above that prior to adding your grains. I usually experience a 8-12°F drop when adding my grain, depending on conditions. Here is a good calculator to figure out your water temp:

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

Read through my thread on partial mashing, too:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

There have been a lot of questions about mashing answered by myself and others.
:mug:

How much crystal and 2 row would you suggest I use for this experimental recipe I came up with?

Pale Ale?
5 lbs extra light dried malt extract
2 lbs rice syrup solids
1 lb 10 L crystal malt
1 lb 2 row pale malt
1/2 lb brown sugar?
1/3 oz Burton Water salts (contains papain and gypsum)
1 oz fuggles
Whitelabs American Ale Yeast blend

Too much 2 row? Too much crystal? Brown sugar? Too much rice syrup solids? Will this yeast be decent? I know either way it will be beer and it will be decent beer for me. I'm not too picky. But I do want it to be the best possible. Any suggestions?

Back