Fuller's ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried one today at the local pub and I have to say I was disappointed. I think most of the problem was that the beer was flat. I've never had a beer on tap that had absolutely no carbination at all. The beer tasted very bland. I could and have brewed better ESBs myself. No real malt profile and the hops were practically non-existent. I've heard lots of adds for this beer but from what I tasted, it isn't worth the hype.

I had one a while back (I think it was one of our tastings of the week) and had forgotten how good it is. I had it from a bottle, however. I remember thinking it was really a great balance of maltiness and hopiness.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I had one a while back (I think it was one of our tastings of the week) and had forgotten how good it is. I had it from a bottle, however. I remember thinking it was really a great balance of maltiness and hopiness.
I think I'll find it in a bottle and give it another chance. I don't think that pub did Fullers any good.

yeah don't discount it yet. It has been an all time favorite of mine. How could you resist that wholesome goodness in a dimpled pint glass with the griffin on it?

This is one of my all time favorite beers,worth a another try in bottle form.
glibbidy check out "fullers" web site for a special ESB glass (gobblet style)mine just arrived last week,great! holds a full pint too.

It varies from pub to pub and is greatly affected by the quality of the cellarmanship IMO. I've had many a bland cask conditioned ale only to have the exact same beer in a different pub where it's amazing. I had a really awful pint of Adnams bitter last night but I know it wasn't the beer's fault!

Fullers is very good on tap - provided you find it at the right place. ;)

Here in the States, you have to find a place that pays attention to how they maintain their beer and how quickly they turn over inventory. A good 'British or Irish style pub' in a metropolitan area will probably be best. If you can't find that, give it a try in bottles. But again, the same sort of axiom applies. Find a beer store that does a high volume.

Back