infrared thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogue22

Reaction score
anyone ever use or try to use an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of their mash/wort? I was curious if it would measure correctly, or if it would be off because it would just measure the top? And then would it even be practical since it wouldn't be a constant reading?

When I asked this question on other brewboards, the answer I got was that you need to get the temperature beneath the surface to be accurate, so the IR thermometer isn't useful there. I was going to use one to check the temperature of a fermenter--which is going to be more of a consistent temperature, but when I borrowed two different models from a friend, they were different by about 8 degrees, and both were significantly different from a different type of thermometer. So now I even question their accuracy.

I use mine for measuring temps on pizza baking stones, etc. It will also give me an accurate reading off my plastic fermenter which coincides exactly with the temperature strip on the side. Some times I will get an accurate read off the surface of liquid and other times it wanders a bit. Best to use a submerged thermo or probe for hot wort.

I use the Raytek MT6

Back