airlock not bubbling its been 2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheatbeerPY

Reaction score
I have an american wheat from northernbrewer, It hasent done anything its been since sat.This is only my 6th batch but all the others have started in 24 hours or less. The yeast in this kit I havent used before it was safale k-97dry. Should I open it up to see whats up? Help I'm really thirstyy!!

Lack of airlock bubbling does not mean there is no fermentation. Also, it can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. I would at least wait that long. But, take it with a grain of salt, you have brewed more batches than I have.

Check, double, and triple check all your seals to make sure you don't have a leak. If you are 100% positive you don't have a leak, wait until tomorrow, then repitch a properly hydrated yeast.

Its in a bucket, I have 2, 6.5 gal buckets 1, 6 gal carboy and 1, 5gal secondary. They sit on a shelf in my furnace room, it stays a constant 68-70 degrees.I also bottle condition in there.

I hear ya man. The anticipation can get to you sometimes. I've got a batch that I brewed up Sunday morning. Because I've had Krauszilla attacks my last to batches, I tried to keep the temperature with this one by putting the fermentation bucket in a tub of water. I've got this bigass blowoff tube attached in anticipation of the bubbling monster but so far... nuthin'. But hey I'm relaxed.

one of my buckets doesn't seal for nothing, no bubbles come thru at all unless its a very violent ferm. i myself was worried last batch so hydrated a packet of us-05 and was ready to pitch when i opened up i had a full head of krausen so i wasted a packet of yeast

one of my buckets doesn't seal for nothing, no bubbles come thru at all unless its a very violent ferm. i myself was worried last batch so hydrated a packet of us-05 and was ready to pitch when i opened up i had a full head of krausen so i wasted a packet of yeast

Half of my beers never bubble whether or not it is a carboy or a bucket. The 3 piece airlock is the most fallable of them all, often there is simply not a strong enough escape of co2 to lift the bubbler. S type airlocks are much more reliable...in face I have started to use those old school ones exclusively.

But not because I use the airlock as a reliable gauge..but because it is neat to watch it...

But seriously, guys, girls, lurkers....if you don't equate airlock bubbling with anything other than the venting of excess gas, not a fermentation gauge, and USE YOUR HYDROMETER, you will rest much better. :mug:

I don't know what it is, but sometimes my beer will be fermenting, and the airlock will not bubble. I then press on the top of the bucket for a second to make bubbles come out, and then you can slowly see the liquid in the airlock rise, until the co2 escapes, and it will start bubbling again. Just try pressing on the lid of the fermenter lightly, and see if that works.

I've had a great time watching the wit that's been in my carboy for a week. The krausen slowly grew over the first three days, yet the airlock bubbled furiously. Over the next two airlock activity slowed significantly, yet the krausen monster kept growing and the beer kept churning below. Today it fell significantly, but the airlock is still bubbling out CO2 occasionally and the yeast are partying in the liquid below.

There's a whole lot more going on with our beers than the bubbles in the airlock.

Don't even get me started on how it has smelled along the way.........:D

Back