Rye IPA - any good commericial examples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Here is a Rye IPA recipe:
Denny Conn's Rye IPA

Turns out the guy that created this recipe is a friend of my boss'. I was going to brew it, but I've never tried a beer that has Rye in it. What is a good commercial beer that might get close to this? I am OK with rye bread, but I'm not a fanatic for it. Note the IBU's are pretty high on this recipe, maybe that helps balance the flavor?

+1 for the Hop Rod.

My buddy also makes a heavy hopped Rye that we're trying to convince our micro buddy to make a 7bbl batch of. It's just too good, the world needs to try it.

Amarillo/Simcoe and a Simcoe dry hop.. delish.

Denny Conn's Rye IPA

Turns out the guy that created this recipe is a friend of my boss'. I was going to brew it, but I've never tried a beer that has Rye in it. What is a good commercial beer that might get close to this? I am OK with rye bread, but I'm not a fanatic for it. Note the IBU's are pretty high on this recipe, maybe that helps balance the flavor?

Funny, I was just going thru an old Zymurgy (MARCH 05) and they talk about DC Rye IPA and how Rogue and Olfabrikken Brewery(Danish) asked permission to use his recipe too. Unfortunately Rogue doesn't brew Awry IPA (Two Tier Bier) anymore - so outside of trivia - sorry I couldn't help. Guess you could at least look up reviews of these beers, DC said Rogue's version was really close to his.

-OCD

If you can get it - one of my absolute favorite IPAs, let alone rye based IPAs...

Shmaltz.com

Denny Conn's Rye IPA

+1 on Hop Rod and Founders Red Rye. Although the latter can be pretty strong if you're not used to a good hoppy punch in the face.
I just kegged Denny's RIPA this morning. Smells phenominal!! And I can't wait to start drink it. I'd been meaning to brew it up for a long time, and am glad I finally got around to it. Don't be scared of the rye, it's pretty subdued in this recipe imho.

Latest posts

Back