Thinking about selling guns/parts for brew equipment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikolausXX

Reaction score
I was on a big gun kick a few years back. I bought some AK47 parts kits, recievers, and magazines, and ammo back then. The .gov banned the stuff from importation about 2 years ago. This stuff is skyrocketing in price. Since Obama has been elected prices are almost 250 for my lower kits and 500 for my primo kit! I havnt shot a gun in 2 years, and have several working guns ranging from rifles, shotguns, and EVIL guns. Im thinking about making my prior hobby of making guns money to buy kegs, and equipment. Im sure you all agree! Barack may come for the guns, but he cant take my beer. Well or the guns I keep either for that matter as I will not live unarmed.

You'd probably have better luck selling the kits if you put them together first. get more money, plus most of the people going gun crazy because of the election probably don't know how to put them together.
Also I'm always looking for a good deal so if you figure out what you're selling and how much you want I'd like to see it.

Is that true? Gun prices are going up because people think Obama is coming for their guns? That's hilarious. How are the prices on black helicopter detectors and tin-foil hats?

Its true. Sad to say, if your buying guns from dealer, your name and adress is on paper for them to come get them, if worst case happens. Half my guns are on paper, half are not. If crap hits fan, half were lost in wild boating accident! But no, seriously, kit prices have gone up 200% in last year or 2. To build theese rifles I would need to buy a drill press, a rivit jig, or make one out of bolt cutters, and a large press to press the barrels back in. I have about 400 in the kits, there worth over 1000 right now. I might keep one to myself, but I need to build it soon if thats the case. Shooting semi auto rifles has got alot more expensive over last couple of years, I guess homebrewing has too. The gun building hobby is alot like homebrewing, alot of DIY info out there on sites like ar15.com, and gunco.net etc. Just the price of ammo, and supplies has doubled or trippled over the years due to legislation, and metal prices. The gun guys are as die hard as the homebrewers. Alot of high dollar folks willing to shell out money for stuff that is hard to find.

I think this is the first instance on HBT where RDWHAHB is NOT the proper advice.
This is what ive been doing for the last year or 2. Its good avise. If your of good mental state, owning guns and drinking homebrew or any alcohol is not really an issue. Ive been sitting back, kicking myself for not building these rifles, but at same time appreciating the increase in value they have gained form our .gov further regulating and baning firearms. Only thing is dont want to wait too long till you cant sell it, or worse, it becomes contriband. I will never sell all my guns. My stainless .357, my ar15, and my remington 12 guage will always be with me! I would probably keep my chineese sks too, as its not on paper, and is pretty accurate. The AK's are neat, but they are a little inaccurate compared to us built ar15, and ammo and supplies keeps getting harder to find and more expensive. If I sell and get 1000 bucks to spend on home brew, and mabey knock down some credit card debt, ill be enjoying beers for years, until .gov says thats not ok.

Is that true? Gun prices are going up because people think Obama is coming for their guns? That's hilarious. How are the prices on black helicopter detectors and tin-foil hats?

Man my tin foil hat business is going through THE ROOF!! With the purchase of 5 tinfoil hats I give away one free Tap-A-Gard. That's right the pat. pend. device that keeps The Man from listening in on your telephone conversations! ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

i go through hobbies like a tuna goes through water. does that make sense, i just made it up? anyway, i was on a gun kick a while back as well. and what ive found is that you typically return to hobbies after a while and will end up spending more money rebuying what youve sold than if you had just kept it to start with. now your situation may be slightly different, since it seems like you can make a profit on the guns. but if prices continue to rise and you eventually want to get back into the hobby, you may be rebuying stuff for more than you sold it. or maybe you could sell high now, it might turn out the gun scare is all for naught, and prices go back down. then you could buy in again for less than you sold and you'd be gold. too bad i broke my crystal ball in a freak bowling accident.

Man my tin foil hat business is going through THE ROOF!! With the purchase of 5 tinfoil hats I give away one free Tap-A-Gard. That's right the pat. pend. device that keeps The Man from listening in on your telephone conversations! ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

lol. Thats some funny stuff. Im not completely wacko or anything, not worried about wire taps. The .gov has history of banning guns and pushing prices up as whatever they ban is grandfathered if you get in on time. Being grandfathered they can be sold. Machine guns can be sold, but if you want a LEGAL machine gun, you will pay 10 grand for it. The only way I can put it to you guys is its like corney kegs. Ya right now they are 20-25 bucks a piece. Rumors already abound that they are going up, and up. So if you were to say buy 400 bucks worth of corney kegs at 20 bucks a pop. 2 or 3 years from now, due to supply and demand (without .gov conspiracy) they cost 50 or 75 bucks apiece and you got out of hobby for something else you could make some money. Or you could sit back on your 20 corney kegs and have a hell of a beer fest.

i go through hobbies like a tuna goes through water. does that make sense, i just made it up? anyway, i was on a gun kick a while back as well. and what ive found is that you typically return to hobbies after a while and will end up spending more money rebuying what youve sold than if you had just kept it to start with. now your situation may be slightly different, since it seems like you can make a profit on the guns. but if prices continue to rise and you eventually want to get back into the hobby, you may be rebuying stuff for more than you sold it. or maybe you could sell high now, it might turn out the gun scare is all for naught, and prices go back down. then you could buy in again for less than you sold and you'd be gold. too bad i broke my crystal ball in a freak bowling accident.

Dont really plan on buying anymore kits for building. If I buy anymore guns, they will be built and ready to go, and preferably second hand, for no paper work. Then again, you are right that if I keep, and build a kit, if I wanted to buy that gun later it would be alot cheaper to keep. I might keep one, probably the primo underfolder terrorist weapon. At least 2 if not all 3 kits I bought years ago, are going to be sold. I have enough parts, and enough resources to build one. But is it worth 250 or 500 bucks to have something sit around. I got 3 kids now. I got no time or money to shoot. Id blow a 5 gallon batch worth of beer on one shooting in ammo alone. I can drink beer any time im home. If I want to shoot guns I got to drive 10-40 miles, and spend 30 bucks or so. Choice is obvoius to me. Ill keep some of my guns, well all of the ones that arnt kits, and keep ammo for them, to shoot in future, or shoot with kids when there old enough, and for home protection. Dont get me wrong, im not selling out all my guns for beer, that would be just stupid.

If you aren't planning on building the kits, sell them and buy something you'll be using.

This is what ive been doing for the last year or 2. Its good avise. If your of good mental state, owning guns and drinking homebrew or any alcohol is not really an issue. Ive been sitting back, kicking myself for not building these rifles, but at same time appreciating the increase in value they have gained form our .gov further regulating and baning firearms. Only thing is dont want to wait too long till you cant sell it, or worse, it becomes contriband. I will never sell all my guns. My stainless .357, my ar15, and my remington 12 guage will always be with me! I would probably keep my chineese sks too, as its not on paper, and is pretty accurate. The AK's are neat, but they are a little inaccurate compared to us built ar15, and ammo and supplies keeps getting harder to find and more expensive. If I sell and get 1000 bucks to spend on home brew, and mabey knock down some credit card debt, ill be enjoying beers for years, until .gov says thats not ok.

Actually, I was reffering to drinking homebrew while assembling the kits. Gets hard to discern "which end points which way" after too many.

I am okay with guns. And I am all for the peoples responsible right to conceal and carry.

I don't care to shoot them for leisure (Hunting, Target, Range, etc..) but, that is just me. I have considered a purchase now and again for home safety sake but, alway reconsider when I think that it might get used ON me rather than by me. I have heard way too many stories I guess.

A responsible shoot fest! With guns you can no longer get, or are priced out of your range anymore. Exploding targets can be fun, hitting targets at 2-300 yards can be fun. Water filled objects can be fun to shoot also. I miss shooting regularly and getting better but ammo prices, and gas prices have hampered that some. Like I said, I want to keep the guns I have that are shootable for future outings, and home protection.

Just to clarify, the .gov hasnt taken any guns away from anybody that didn't break the law. YET. So far after any gun bans, anything that is banned is grandfathered, or put into NFA (google it, Short barrel, machine gun, some shot guns, explosives). So if your grandfathered or god forbid it goes NFA, your stuff is worth even more. All NFA stuff is REAL expensive, but completely legal.

As far as being prepared, if some massive gun confiscation were to ever happen, mine would not be at my house while that is going on :)

Well, and maybe this isn't the thread for what I'm about to say, but the gun thing has always struck me as a classic urban/rural divide. I'm a city boy. I grew up in New York and live in DC now. And neither place profits from the availability of guns. Guns are useful and appropriate elsewhere. And I hear gunshots oh, about, once every two months. A gun wouldn't make me safer...bulletproofing my house might. There are kids killing each other out here, and they're not doing it with legal guns. So I really object to making city gun laws test cases for national gun ownership rights. I do believe that cities suffer as an indirect consequence of the gun trade, especially gun shows. More guns in existence=more supply for the black market. And just as we accept some restrictions on our right to free speech to preserve others' safety--including our collective safety--it seems to me that there gun owners and enthusiasts should accept some freedom on their right to bear arms (which I don't believe, personally, is an individual right, despite the recent Supreme Court ruling, but I know that's a matter of debate) for the sake of their countrymen who live in cities. So, personally, I do think guns should be expensive, and not simple to obtain. That would reflect their true cost to the country, a cost not often felt by those who enjoy them, I admit, for pure sport and recreation. And if you feel comfortable with a weapon for self-defense in your home, you should certainly be allowed to own one.

You are entitled to your opinion. I am not some a$$hole that is going to rip your opinion apart because I do not agree with it. I lived in a duplex years ago, and my neighbor was murdered by gun/burning to death. There is a bad side to guns. In this country and others. I have personally witnessed a gang shooting, in Lincoln Nebraska no less, thank god nobody got hurt other than the suburban the one was driving. So living right smack dab in the middle of the country, almost every household has at least 1 gun in it. I live in a small town. We have had suicides, a couple of murders over the years. But I do believe in my right to keep and bear arms. Black market, and underground guns and gangs are doing more damage to the honest people in this country. School shootings also give guns a bad rep. Thing is, especially if you live outside the city, the cops are 20-30 minutes away if anything happens. Even in DC, if you knew how to properly store, load, use a firearm, you would be much safer against a armed burgler, stalker, someone who wants to harm you, than if you are unarmed. This fact alone makes me respect the second amendment and the DC ruling from months ago. DC had some of the highest gun crime rates, yet the law abiding citizens were not allowed to own guns. So if only criminals have guns, and you have a phone, the criminal wins.
I guess what im trying to say is the guns are here, they have been here since we have been a country. Disarming the law abiding average guy who wants to protect his family, or shoot competitions, or hunt game animals (not in city), is not going to reduce crime. I agree with you the number of new guns would decrease, but there are millions and millions of guns out there already in law abiding citizens hands, in criminals hands, and who knows were. Any law you make, only the honest, law abiding people will turn them in, thus rendering themselves further prone to being robbed, raped, or even killed by a criminal. Not looking to start an arguement. I respect your opinion, and hopefully you do the same for me.

Thanks for that, and I hear you. I just find the NRA's lobbying positions to be distasteful--they will accept no restrictions for any reason at all, and that's just not right.

The NRA is like a big gun club for everyone who is scared of new gun laws. I used to be a member, and I may sign up again someday. The NRA theory is the more gun control that happens, the further it will go. They ban this class, this amount of ammo capicity, this size, this caliber, this name, this model. I dont have problem with background check, permits, reasonable waiting period, etc. I do have problem with bans, our system right now is pretty good. You can get competition guns, hunting guns, military replica guns (semi auto), or with permit/signoff hoops and bounds, the real deal military stuff. If your buying gun from dealer, you have to be pretty clean. If you beat your wife, you dont get gun. You have felony, drug charges, etc. you dont get gun. If your in possesion of guns and you have done that stuff, you get screwed if you get caught, thats ok with me. But disarming people, or only allowing them guns suitable for hunting, read single shot, is bullcrap. I think the self defense aspect above all is why I own firearms, and recreation second, and hunting, I rarely hunt. But as I posted before, I rarely shoot anymore due to costs of transportation and ammunition. I dont carry guns on me outside the home, I have been robbed at my vehicle by gang member in lincoln. My home, my family, that is most important to me. When living in lincoln had 2 break into apartment, I am a large guy and they were unarmed, and were kicked the F out. But in my older years, with 3 boys, and my wife, Im not taking any chances. The NRA is just the opposite of the gun ban lobby, it balances out. I reread your post at top of page 3, I have been hearing gunshots daily lately. Thank god too, taking those damn deer so I dont hit them with my car. The deer are a plague in my area. I really think either more people should hunt, or more permits should be released. Seems like 2 or 3 times a week im playing dodge the deer at 70mph. Ill leave it at that, I respect your opinion, and you seem to respect mine. There are far fringes of gun control on both sides. I didnt really post to debate gun control, just wether or not to sell the evil kits for kegs and brewing equipment. Im sure I know your suggestion :)

I didnt really post to debate gun control, just wether or not to sell the evil kits for kegs and brewing equipment. Im sure I know your suggestion :)

Yes, you do. :mug: Make a "2nd Amendment Ale", with just the tiniest pinch of gunpowder (think of it as brewing salts), and send me a case. I'll drink one every night I hear a gunshot.:eek: Should take me about a year.

Post 200, by the way.

Just hope it isnt like the cocaine that nicolas cage takes in "Lord of War". Takes cocaine with gunpowder, and goes crazy! That would steer me away from that idea. Drinking some pale ale right now. No guns in sight, or cocaine for that matter.

Nah, though that was an interesting scene. But you can use gunpowder to season meat...I bet someone, somewhere, has done an analysis of its mineral effect on water.

Dunno, I would imagine it tastes bad. Mabey a .22 shell worth for a 10gal batch, but probably isnt safe at all :p

Yes, you do. :mug: Make a "2nd Amendment Ale", with just the tiniest pinch of gunpowder (think of it as brewing salts), and send me a case. I'll drink one every night I hear a gunshot.:eek: Should take me about a year.

Post 200, by the way.

shoot...i might have that case finished in a night if the raiders lose.

it's not the responsible gun owners that are committing the crimes, so more gun control won't help any. The criminals will still get their hands on weapons. It's like drugs, where there's a need, there's a supply.

Actually in communities that encourage people to have guns, their crime rate is next to nothing.

Even in countries that have extremely strict gun laws and hardly anybody can own one, the criminals still have theirs.

What it all boils down to is the politicians don't want us to have guns, period. They are going to run our country to the ground, then sell out to the chinese and don't want us to have the ability to do anything about it.
(well maybe not, but you get the point)

Our forefathers thought ahead and gave us that right for a reason. They felt that was needed to keep our government in check and take it back if needed.

The .gov has alot better guns than we do! Especially on this board. Lol a bunch of half tanked homebrewers. We would be lucky to hit a car sized target at 50 yards after 10:00pm.

Back