How many 12oz bottles do you get from 5gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many longnecks from 5 gallons?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On average, how many 12oz bottles do you get from a 5 gallon batch?

I count on 48 but usually have another 6 bottles sanitized. My average is about 50.

Five gallons of beer equals:

53 x 12-ounce bottles
40 x 16-ounce bottles
29 x 22-ounce bottles

give or take, depending on your volume of course!

After racking to a secondary off of a fairly large yeast cake, and racking from secondary into the bottling bucket, I ended up losing 1/2 gal of total liquid, so I only got 36 of the 12oz. + 6 of the 16oz. bottles. If I were to have done it in all 12oz., I would have had 44 bottles. A bit on the low end, I'd imagine. I did not add any water to adjust my batch back up to 5gal.

yeah, my count varies...I always adjust to get back up to 5 gallons, minus a few b/c of the yeast cake. Apfelwein raises my average.

36, but I'm a little tipsy by the end.

No, I usually plan for 48, then throw the rest in a larger container, or a couple spare bottles for...uh...sampling. :D

5 gallons = 640 ounces

640 ounces = 53.333333 twelve ounce long necks.

I ususally get two full cases...and up to a six-pack to put on the back shelf for 8 months later.

Bottles, what are these bottles that you speak of, if you are referring to beer storage and serving containers I get 1 from every batch the name is keg though, not bottle.

my hats off to you twelve oz. bottlers. Haven't done that since the eighties or early nineties. Came back to brewing and did litres / quarts for a while and now it's sixtels and quarters.

One thing I've learned through the years is that kegs and a cold box really saves labor and improves the end product.

Mike

Around 50-52. Hops, yeast, and all other variables will change the exact amount. Sometimes, my yeast bed is higher than others but I always start with 5.5 gallons. I bottled exactly 52 last night from 5.5 gallons and I couldn't have been more efficient

I'm curious if people are going to bottle why they go with 12oz instead of 22oz bottles? I suppose giving a few as a gift then 12oz would be great, but for actual drinking on a daily basis I find that 22oz is the best size.

Let's be realistic, who ever just drinks 12oz of beer in one sitting?! LoL...;)

Im not sure why I like it. I like to pour one whole bottle in one continuous pour, and stop when the slurry on the bottom lifts up. Rinse out, and done! I don't mind bottling, a lot of things about brewing are very meditative to me. Even cleaning carboys!

Im not sure why I like it. I like to pour one whole bottle in one continuous pour, and stop when the slurry on the bottom lifts up. Rinse out, and done! I don't mind bottling, a lot of things about brewing are very meditative to me. Even cleaning carboys!

I agree! I just use a larger glass! :D

There is a really great app on the iTunes store called "Bottle Calc" it let's you put in your starting volume and tells you how many bottles you will need. It also let's you use several different sized bottles at the same time. I really like that feature because I like to bottle a few bombers to save for special occasions.

Oh, it's free as well.

Bottled my AG Arrogant Bastard clone Thursday. I got 30 12oz bottles and 12 22oz bottles out of it. Which is 624 total ounces or 4.875 gallons ( lost a little from racking )

Back