Accidentally switched hops on firstever session.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
Yea I did it. i was distracted for a few moments helping my small kids and then oh no i put the cascade hops in first instead of centenial for bitterness. So I will start again new tomorrow with new session after buying new supplies. I already threw away the "reverse wert" Ha! Could it have worked out to taste ok? I'm using crystal malt crushed, 100% malt extract and three hops

#1 was to be magnum but brewer store was out so Centenial it was to be.

#2 is willamette for taste.

#3 is cascade for aroma. Inquirung minds want to know. The guy who is my mentor is in Vegas so he is not to be disturbed, just kidding, I could call him but I want to see what you folks think about what i did.

Thanks Gregg

You didn't really toss it did you? Both Cascade and Centennial are for both bittering and aroma. Your switching it with Cascade for the extended boil would just give you a bit less "bitter" but would have been more than fine. Perfectly fine actually...

A page about hops below:

http://byo.com/referenceguide/hops/index.html

Gregg Meyer said:
Yea I did it. i was distracted for a few moments helping my small kids and then oh no i put the cascade hops in first instead of centenial for bitterness. So I will start again new tomorrow with new session after buying new supplies. I already threw away the "reverse wert" Ha! Could it have worked out to taste ok? I'm using crystal malt crushed, 100% malt extract and three hops

#1 was to be magnum but brewer store was out so Centenial it was to be.

#2 is willamette for taste.

#3 is cascade for aroma. Inquirung minds want to know. The guy who is my mentor is in Vegas so he is not to be disturbed, just kidding, I could call him but I want to see what you folks think about what i did.

Thanks Gregg

It could have been awesome. Never toss it until 1 year after you bottle it.

Yea I did toss it, you guys are great. They say education is expensive. I should have kept it but I did not know it would have been ok. I didn't want to wait a month and find out it sucks. Now that would really suck. i can alway make more money, foe more beer. i had a good time with my "practice run tonight.

Do you start the time on the boil right at the time the wort gets to right at 211 or do you start your timming at the time the foaming subsides and then add in the first Hops and start the timer?

Thanks gregg,

ok cool, I started after I had a good boil and was controling the foaming. I had maybe 5 min.s in before adding the first hops, damn the cascade, oh well.

Thanks again
Gregg

I don't start my timer until the hot break (foam subsides). Usually that's 10-15 minutes in. Then add your 1st hop additions.

Wow I just checked out both your pics, very nice guys. I am an avid somker of meats and am on a forum for that as well, can you imagine, homemade brew and home made pulled pork shoulder, brisket , baby back ribs, or chicken? I think I am now in heaven.

gregg

Gregg Meyer said:
Wow I just checked out both your pics, very nice guys. I am an avid somker of meats and am on a forum for that as well, can you imagine, homemade brew and home made pulled pork shoulder, brisket , baby back ribs, or chicken? I think I am now in heaven.

gregg

Check Out Pumbba's Pic's.

(Ok, I got to get back to beer'in. I'm making my Chaos right now) Having fun at your expense. No ill will intended.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Gregg Meyer said:
Ok will do pummba's pics

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I just spit up on my damn keyboard!!!!!

Again, on your expense. I'll return to normal tomorrow. Theres a history behind it.

How come nobody's taught Gregg the Homebrewers Mantra? Relax, Gregg, Don't Worry, have a Home Brew?

Swap Hops? RDWHHB
Boil time? RDWHHB

You can make tons of mistakes, It will still be good beer. Maybe not exactly what the recipe expects, but it will still be good beer. Mega brewers want each bottle of their swill to be exactly like every other bottle of their swill. We don't have that kind of rigid expectations. RDWHHB

Read lots of recipes and procedures on the net, while you RDWHHB. You will see lots of variations of ingredients, methods, and equipment. RDWHHB.

Now critical do you think beer making could be? The Ancients did it 6,000 years ago, without a thermometer! RDWHHB

Now, repeat after me-
-RDWHHB

-RDWHHB

-RDWHHB

Gregg Meyer said:
Yea I did toss it, you guys are great. They say education is expensive. I should have kept it but I did not know it would have been ok. I didn't want to wait a month and find out it sucks. Now that would really suck. i can alway make more money, foe more beer. i had a good time with my "practice run tonight.

Why do I hear that bag pipey funeral music in my ears right now reading this.

Even if a recipe doesn't turn out as planned, odds are the beer will be good, just different. It wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing has happened, and sometimes you might dicover a new recipe you like better than the original by ways of accidental discovery.

Now, hats off and a moment of silence, for the beer that, sniff, might have been....

Back