Preparing for 1st All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Skipper

Reaction score
I am trying to get set up to do my first all grain brew. I have decided on a 10 Gallon cooler for a mash tun and purchased Phil's Phalse Bottom. I noticed that the false bottom isn't an exact fit inside my cooler. It leaves about an inch all the way around the outside of the false bottom. Common sense tells me that malt will drop below the false bottom. Do I need to find another collection method? Thanks.

If the false bottom fits flat on the cooler bottom, you'll be ok. The malt will hold it down. Having the false bottom slightly smaller than the cooler will help prevent sparge water channeling down the sides.

I dunno about that. Having 1 inch of extra 'edge' would be like having a 1 inch deeper load of grist. Not much advantage. How is Skipper going to drain it too? Put a tap in the center of his tun? Or tape his phalsie to the side, above his cooler's drain? I use a piece of perforated stainless as a phalsie, cut oval so as to fit above the drain on the side, and a grain bag.

You only need a 5 gallon cooler, not the 10 gallon. I have the 5 gallon with a phalse bottom, and it works really well. I will happily exchange my 5 gallon setup (with phitting phalsie) for your 10 gallon set up. :D

Seriously, the cooler with the phalse bottom works really well (but I wish I had gone for the 10 gallon in the first place). I suspect David is right about it not mattering too much, but they do make a 12 inch version specially for the 10 gallon coolers.

Good luck.
-a.

i'd go with the SS mesh filter screen (like a Bazooka Screen) but that should work good too. as long as it fits flush w/ the bottom of the cooler, your ready to rock 'n roll!

good luck!

Could you make one of these? the cost would only be a few $s

manifold.JPG

If I understand correctly the false bottom is 2" in diameter smaller than the inside of the cooler. If this is the case the assumption that the grains would fall through and come out/clog the spigot would be correct. A larger false bottom would be inorder or a redesign of the mash tun using a different method.

PT Ray said:
If I understand correctly the false bottom is 2" in diameter smaller than the inside of the cooler. If this is the case the assumption that the grains would fall through and come out/clog the spigot would be correct. A larger false bottom would be inorder or a redesign of the mash tun using a different method.

Nope. the false bottoms are domed, with the outer edges resting securely on the bottom of the tun. No grain can leak underneath.

PT Ray said:

That would be the case if the false bottom were flat and supported on legs, but the Phils Phalse Bottom is curved and supported by the rim which would sit on the bottom of the cooler. The outlet is screwed into the center of the molding, and is raised off the floor by about 1/2 inch. A very small amount of grain could seep past the rim, but I doubt this would be enough to clog the outlet.

-a.

ajf said:
That would be the case if the false bottom were flat and supported on legs, but the Phils Phalse Bottom is curved and supported by the rim which would sit on the bottom of the cooler. The outlet is screwed into the center of the molding, and is raised off the floor by about 1/2 inch. A very small amount of grain could seep past the rim, but I doubt this would be enough to clog the outlet.

-a.

Now it all makes sense. I could not for the life of me figure how the first few replies pertained to what I would call a true false bottom. Looks like you can 86 my reply.

Back