Oops, i "lost" a stopper.....HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWulf

Reaction score
Umm, yea....well i was using a solid rubber stopper to seal the opening on my glass carboy after adding the yeast so i could shake the living heck outta it for a few minutes to aerate. 1/2 way through i removed the stopper to let a bit more air into the bottle, but when i went to replace the stopper i used a little too much force and POP the stopper is now sitting at the bottom of the glass carboy.

YES, the stopper was sanitized before this so it shouldn't be infected. However what can this do to my brew? This is my second batch, i made it tonight after moving my first brew into secondary thus freeing up the larger glass carboy. I really really hope i havent screwed the brew. On top of that i have NO IDEA how to get the stopper out of the carboy after i drain the beer (assuming its ok and i let it ferment its full course)

Maybe i can chop it up somehow and remove it piece by piece? Hell, maybe im freaking out over nothing and its all ok, i can just leave it in there and just be sure to super-sanitize it? The bottle is holding American Red Ale if it matters by the way...

Ideas? Anything? Damn, this was a PERFECT brew night also until i did this, i did everything perfect and didnt screw up this time....except for this =(

Sweet, i know i SHOULD of searched but i was kinda freaking out and not thinking straight.

All should be well then, and i suppose after i transfer this batch to secondary ill begin cutting the damn thing out! Just as long as my brew is ok!

Take a plastic shopping bag and roll it into a 'rope.' Insert the closed end into the empty carboy., keeping the handle end out of the mouth of the carboy. Turn the carboy upside down and shake the stopper down into the mouth of the carboy. Blow up the shopping bag a bit into a small ballon and pull it out thru the mouth of the carboy and the stopper will pop right out.

Paul

When you get it out, switch to carboy caps. It will never happen again and you won't have to worry about a wet stopper popping out either.

15GallonsApfelwein11days.jpg

Back