ideas, advice, help with ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
I am moving to Central America (Nicaragua to be exact) and Homebrewing Ingredients are not really around. The grains that are most common are Wheat, Sorghum, Amaranth, Corn and Rice. I will have to malt them.
I have yet to find barley in the markets and have asked some locals on previous stays and have had no luck finding it yet.

I will come back to states probably once or twice a year so i was planning on bringing in 3-4 lbs of hops and 15-20 lbs of LME or DME(probably LME since DME looks like cocaine).
so that way i can use about 2lbs of DME per batch and use the above grains to fit the rest of the bill. plus sugar or honey.

I know i will have to do alot of experimenting, but if anyone has experience using these different grains, please let me know what you think. and what kind of flavor profile do they bring to the table.
I like pretty much all beers except barelywines. and favorites are hoppy IPAs. so im hoping i can still brew a good variety of beers.

Back