1469 back for fall!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Read in Zymurgy that Wyeast is releasing the WY1469 (West Yorkshire Ale) for the fall.

I'm stoked! Love this yeast.

Hope that they make it part of their permanent collection.

I've had a love - hate thing with this yeast. Some batches it worked wonderfully and others not so much. Looks like I'll be trying it out again this fall, Oct-Dec?

What is this yeast? Doesn't have detail info on their site. Fall is a good time for english beers, so I've been on a kick lately.

It is the Timothy Taylor and Black Sheep yeast strain. I've had problems with it flocculating in the past and can throw ALOT of fruity esters closer to 70F.

Wyeast 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast
Profile: This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Alc. Tolerance 9% ABV
Flocculation high
Attenuation 67-71%
Temp. Range 64-72°F (18-22°C)

Interesting how it says "reliably flocculent" but you say you've had issues with that... what gives?

Anyone else have experience with this yeast? I may want to try it.

Cool. I might give it a try once again since it produced a good bitter last time I used it and I will have a fermentation fridge this time around.

Me too! It worked great on a pale ale. Not sure if my frozen yeast were still viable though, so I'm glad I can buy it fresh again. :)

Actually I was curious of that myself since it had been frozen since January. I got it out and tossed into a starter last week and it took 3 days but sure enough it started up and fermented out the wort. Its back in the fridge now.

Talked to my lhbs today in hope to get it ordered and they said west Yorkshire would not be avaible this year :(

OMG. Not more than 5 seconds before clicking back here and seeing this thread I was reading on the Mad Fermentalists site a clone recipe for Timothy Taylors Landlord that sounded interesting to brew, and called for this yeast. I just thought to myself "too bad I won't be able to get this yeast."

Awesome to hear. Looks like I have to get me some.

I would use it in any British Isles-inspired ale that you want the malt to shine through. I've used it in a bitter and a mild - both were great. It will support higher hopping too.

I'd use it in an Irish Red.

Revvy,

Planning on doing that exact recipe (http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/02/timothy-taylor-landlord-clone-recipe.html) except with Warminster Maris Otter and a touch of black patent for my inaugural beer for my new, shiny cask from Northern Brewer. Which was another reason that I was thrilled that they were issuing this yeast again. It was fate!

I agree with the other posts about the questionable flocculation. Looking back at my notes and old posts, I did have to use gelatin once to clear it up; otherwise, cold crashing works really well too. Living in the PNW, I can do it on my balcony during the winter. Sorry to rub that in.

It's the ultimate top-cropping yeast. I used cropped yeast for at least five different batches using starters. Value!

:mug:

Did you see in the magazine what else they are releasing? What Belgian strain are they putting out for the fall? :)

I liked this yeast the one time I used it but preferred the PC cask ale. I will have to try this landlord recipe.

I've had good luck with this yeast in the NB Innkeeper kit, I followed the fermentation schedule from the Riggwelter CYBI it show and it came out fantastic.

I've had good luck with this yeast in the NB Innkeeper kit, I followed the fermentation schedule from the Riggwelter CYBI it show and it came out fantastic.

I thought Yorkshire sounded familiar! I heard it in that episode! I'll definitely be jumping on this yeast when it comes out for a Riggwelter clone and then an Irish Red. I'm pumped!

+1 on this. one of my favorite beers so far. It made a nice dry yet malty beer, that was clear as can be

Anyone have some experience with 3655-PC Belgian Schelde Ale Yeast? Any idea what the source is?

Looking forward to brewing with all three of these yeasts!

BW

I think it is DeKonnik's yeast. I've never used it but I have read that it gives a very clean taste, some say too clean for what they expected from a Belgian strain.

I'm glad they're re-releasing 1469. I had mixed results in that the initial pitch threw great esters, and I loved it, but subsequent batches weren't quite as good. I think this definitely had more to do with my process than any particular properties of the yeast. This time around I want to try top-cropping it and see what happens.

In any case, I'll probably buy up a few packs. Great yeast for flavorful English ales!

Revvy,

Planning on doing that exact recipe (http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/02/timothy-taylor-landlord-clone-recipe.html) except with Warminster Maris Otter and a touch of black patent for my inaugural beer for my new, shiny cask from Northern Brewer. Which was another reason that I was thrilled that they were issuing this yeast again. It was fate!

I agree with the other posts about the questionable flocculation. Looking back at my notes and old posts, I did have to use gelatin once to clear it up; otherwise, cold crashing works really well too. Living in the PNW, I can do it on my balcony during the winter. Sorry to rub that in.

It's the ultimate top-cropping yeast. I used cropped yeast for at least five different batches using starters. Value!

:mug:

Good luck with the batches guys! For my tastes you could boost the Styrians at the end of the boil, but you might lose some of that subtle yeast fruitiness.

Great thread, guys. I'm going to brew Lil' Sparky's nut brown ale recipe with this next weekend (using Maris Otter as my base malt).

My LHBS didn't even know they had this yeast in stock, they had to go to their supply fridge to find it :)

I have high hopes for this batch, it might be my last 5.5 ga. batch before my move next year (and wanted to have a beer I could hand out to my friends here)

I think I primaried for 3 weeks and bottled. Fantastic clone of the Landlord.

A little update. I kegged a batch of brown ale that I had used this yeast and the sample tasted really nice. Unlike a few other batches with this strain that didn't flocculate very well, this batch dropped beautifully bright and the malt/ester balance seems about perfect. One thing I noticed with this batch too, is that it has some of the 'rich' malt character that I like so much when using 1968 and 1318.

One of the things I did different with this batch, was starting fermentation pretty low (62-64F) and not letting it get much higher than 65F. This could be one of those strains where cooler is indeed better.

One of the fine fellows at my LHBS/soon-to-be-brewpub just told me today that 1469 is going to be available year round now.

Just ordered a few kits from NB and will be using 1469 for them. I got The Innkeeper, Irish Red ale, and British Bitter. Can't wait!

I have done 3 batches with 1469 in the last 2 months or so. None has cleared yet without refrigeration, which is a big pain. But they have all tasted so good that I can't stop.

Malty in a rich, full, round way that I never tasted in any of my beers. Slightly buttery (I know, I'm supposed to hate the taste of butter in beer). Amazingly English!

64 seems like the magic number for me as well, the esters seem muted at higher temps, even though fermentation goes much faster.

The batch of nut brown ale I brewed with this just keeps getting better and better. Definitely a very English profile, a slight minerally quality to it, but definitely allows the malt to shine through.

In bottles, it's really starting to clear in the fridge. I'm hoping that the case I just tucked into my "beer closet" (closet on an outside wall that stays around 55F in the winter) will continue to settle and condition beautifully.

Should add that I fermented this around 66F and while it never blew the top off the fermenter, and was a bit slow to finish, it did the job and did it well.

Would definitely brew with this yeast again.

Latest posts

Back