NA IPA Beer attempt tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrNuBingTon

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm brewing with a friend who has been sober for many years but still appreciates IBU's. I thought I would brew a IPA. ferment it and boil the alcohol away from half to get him some NA IPA. This process seems like it will allow that "Beer taste" to be created rather than attempting to stop fermentation altogether. It's my understanding that boiling the fermented beer will also drastically remove much of the hop flavor, or so I've read. I'm sure there are a host of reactions that will take place. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

Haven't tried this, so this is completely theoretical. Boiling to remove the alcohol will remove your flavor and aroma while leaving the bittering. So, do your 60 minute addition as normal, ferment, and boil. Keep track of the boil off so you can replace the lost volume, and do your flavor/aroma hopping at this stage, dry hop, and force carb.

I did this last year for my brother-in-law, who had recently stopped drinking. I made 2.5 gallon batches each of an oatmeal stout and a simple pale. For the pale, I made a hop tea in a french press and added it just before bottling (I cooked the alcohol off in the oven, then while the beer was in the sink cooling I made the hop tea). Ended up giving it a nice hoppiness that covered up the "boiled beer" taste pretty well. Getting to IPA levels might be tough, but it's certainly worth trying!

The stout didn't taste so good for about 6 months, but then really came into its own. Bro-in-law was thrilled and has been making all of his NA friends drink my NA beer. For Christmas this year I'm thinking about giving him 2 full batches' worth.

Back