My new kettle arrived! Brew time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So i received my new kettle that I ordered from B3 a couple days ago. It is their 40 quart SS pot. Holy crap this thing is huge. It's about 12" high and 16" wide, which works nicely for my chiller and my burner. I also got my 1/2" copper tubing from a fellow forum member and will be making my chiller this weekend for next weekends brew. I ordered the "summit" IPA kit from austin homebrew and am looking forward to doing my first full boil. I will be moving to AG within the next few months, man I love this hobby!

Dan

Congratulations! Now all you need is a cooler and you're ready to AG it.

Luckily it's easier than you might think. If I can do it and hit 70+ efficiency on most brews, ANYONE can do this!

jezter6 said:
Congratulations! Now all you need is a cooler and you're ready to AG it.

Luckily it's easier than you might think. If I can do it and hit 70+ efficiency on most brews, ANYONE can do this!

I have my cooler, it's a coleman extreme I've had for a few years. I think it will work, although the drain recess worries me a bit as to whether a bulkhead and manifold can fit. If it doesn't, no biggie. My next purchase will be the copper to make my manifold. I plan on using a rectangular cooler and batch sparging. I honestly can't wait, but for now I'm running out of homebrew and have to put something together:tank:

Cheers!

Dan

You don't need a bulk head for the cooler. Just a 3/8"OD copper tube and a dilled bung(one of those dirty sounding brewing terms) that fits the opening on the cooler. Attach manifold or SS braid. Never had probems with mine, just hook the tube to the handle and the liquid won't fall out.

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

This is how I did mine.

sause said:
You don't need a bulk head for the cooler. Just a 3/8"OD copper tube and a dilled bung(one of those dirty sounding brewing terms) that fits the opening on the cooler. Attach manifold or SS braid. Never had probems with mine, just hook the tube to the handle and the liquid won't fall out.

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

This is how I did mine.

That's brilliant. That's less money I need to spend, awesome thanks for that! With that setup I could go AG on my next brew. That is why I love this place.

Dan

I follow his steps for my first all grain. Kept that page up the whole time. Along with beersmith and here of course.;) One of these days I might try his decoction mashing technique.

Edit: By the way, way to go on picking up a big brew kettle.

sause said:
I follow his steps for my first all grain. Kept that page up the whole time. Along with beersmith and here of course.;) One of these days I might try his decoction mashing technique.

Edit: By the way, way to go on picking up a big brew kettle.

I knew I was going to need a big kettle, I always hated the idea of partial boils...there is just too many limitations. I'm hoping I will be able to land a keg as well sometime in the future.

Dan

Hey Dan, Just be sure to note you'll get higher IBUs in a full boil if the recipe was crafted with partial boil in mind. It will usually say "bring 2.5 gallons up to 150 degrees" or something like that. If you're OK with higher IBU (it is an IPA afterall) then don't worry about it. If you want to stay true to the recipe, maybe hold back a little on the bittering hops and add it as aroma at the end.

Bobby_M said:
Hey Dan, Just be sure to note you'll get higher IBUs in a full boil if the recipe was crafted with partial boil in mind. It will usually say "bring 2.5 gallons up to 150 degrees" or something like that. If you're OK with higher IBU (it is an IPA afterall) then don't worry about it. If you want to stay true to the recipe, maybe hold back a little on the bittering hops and add it as aroma at the end.

Yeah I didn't think about that. It is a kit from AHB they always tailor directions around partial boil. I will definitely hold back a little as the hops are Summit. Thanks!

Dan

Good choice on your brewpot, Dan! I got a 40-qt. myself and have no regrets. It's a perfect size, IMO.

I used that same link sause gave you to study up before my first AG. As many people as there are that have used his site as a guide, he oughtta get paid!:)

Rhoobarb said:
Good choice on your brewpot, Dan! I got a 40-qt. myself and have no regrets. It's a perfect size, IMO.

I used that same link sause gave you to study up before my first AG. As many people as there are that have used his site as a guide, he oughtta get paid!:)

+1! Homebrewing is a nice community, I love that there is this much information out there and that there are people who are willing to take the time to document their process!

Dan

Back