dry hoppng..... containment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP123

Reaction score
ok, im about to dry hop some IPA in the secondary, is there a "best" way to do it so the pellets dont flake all around? im going to be kegging so id like to leave as much hop flakes out as i can so i need to filter less when i rack to the keg.

tea bags, cheese cloth?

anyone?

I just pour mine straight in the fermenter. Softly rocking the fermenter a few times a day will make all the hops drop to the bottom after just a few days assuming your using pellet hops. After that its just siphoning normally to leave all the hops and yeast junk behind. That being said, I don't keg though so I don't have to worry with a small amount of hops making it into the bottling bucket.

You can just throw em in free. Or you can let your sac dangle, try weighing it down with something like sanitized ss or marbles.
Listen to the brewing network brew strong on dry hopping for great info.

Search brewing network on podcast if you don't know about it, changed my brewing life forever!!

I messed with dry hop bags. And Marbles, and even cow magnets! as weight. Now I just toss em in and don't worry about it. Rack carefully and slowly and its not a big issue.

Back