Keg cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucknut

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what chemical would easily remove all the gunk on the outside of a sanke keg. It is all the stickey stuff from years of stickers being put on it.

You could go right for the tough stuff: MEK or lacquer thinner. Try to get the solvent on any plastic or painted parts. Also do not get the thinner on your garage floor (I discovered that the thinners also disolve concrete sealer).

so just dump some of this on and scrub with stainless wool or will it just wipe off.

I prefer using a Citrus based paint remover. You should be able to find a spray can at HD or Lowes. Works very well on kegs and much safer than the other chemicals. You could also use Goof Off or a Citrus based alternative.

I just use a bit of mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. Wipe on with a rag, wait 30 seconds (ventilated area, respiratory protection, blah blah), then i just use a razor blade to scrape labels and funk off. Its a zero elbow grease event. I'm not saying citrus based stuff or the MEK won't work, there's a million ways to do it. I'm just telling you what I did with materials available in my shop.

MEK is spooky. I work with it all the time, and still don't like it.

Citrus cleaners work well...GooGone works OK....Acetone will work very well, (nail polish remover, basically)...

If you have to scrape, I'd stick with a scrubbie made of plastic...although some of the harsher solvents, (acetone, toluene), will eat through certain plastics too!

Goo gone or WD-40 works great on sticker solvent

Plastic? never seen any plastic on a Sanke keg. Just the rubber seal on the spear. You can also use heat to soften the sticker. I use a propane torch and a scraper, stickers come right off and then hit the glue with WD-40

Well i cleaned one of them last night with denatured alcohol and it worked but with a little to much elbow grease. On the other 2 i will try something stronger. Thanks for the help.

Goo gone, Or if you are just going to make it into a kettle...Dont worry about it.,..Little smokey aroma never hurt :mug:

dollar tree sells Oxymoron powder for a $1.00 takes all kinds of stickers off especially Grolsche , For a buck experiment all you want --slante

Back