I missed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Touristbob

Reaction score
My starting gravity by about 11 points. Its supposed to be 1.084 and I'm at 1.073. Its not a big deal because I have some LME here. The problem lies in that I cant for the life of me find out how much I'm supposed to add to get it to the gravity its supposed to be. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Its a Arrogant Bastard clone here's the link to the recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/arrogant-bastard-clone-71867/

I figured I got a 62.7% efficiency, pretty poor, usually in the 70's but the brew day didn't go so perfectly and I can understand why its off.

Thanks again,

Craig

According to Beersmith the potential for Pal Liquid Extract is 1.036 SG... I'm assuming this is per gallon. So I took that, added it to a 5 gallon blank recipe (which is 1.000) and raised it til I had 1.011 gravity. Extract has 100% efficiency in Beersmith, so using that and pale LME I calculate you need to add 1.5lbs of LME to increase your gravity by 11 points. If you're doing a 5 gal batch mind, if its 10, double it.

Lemme know if this makes any sense. I'm just doing what seems logical in the software.

BMW's Brewbuilder confirms this, but since they have specifics (Briess Light LME) 1.5lbs raises the SG to 1.012, 1lb 6 oz does 1.011....

I'd just say add 1lb 8 oz's and call it close.

I did find a vague reference to something while I waited for a response here. They said 1.75 oz would raise 5 gallons (which is what I did) by .001. So your calculation, which is more precise, makes sense.

thanks for the quick response.

Craig

LME is 36 points/pound/gallon.
DME is 40 points/pound/gallon.

Take the above number, multiply by gallons and then multiply by points needed; should result in pounds of extract needed.

LME is 36 points/pound/gallon.
DME is 40 points/pound/gallon.

Take the above number, multiply by gallons and then multiply by points needed; should result in pounds of extract needed.

Not so much. Too much multiplication... 36*5gallons*11 points=1980.

You confirmed what I wasn't sure of in saying LME is 36 points PER pound PER gallon.

Meaning that one pound is 36 points in one gallon, then dividing it's 18pts in two gal, 12 in 3, 9 in 4, and 7.2 points in 5 gallons.

If you need 11 points in 5 gallons, you divide 11 by 7.2= 1.528 lbs, round to 1.5 lbs for simplicity.

Back