White Spots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slydawwg

Reaction score
Well after a string of good luck I'm now running into some trouble. I have a batch of Red Ale that has been in the secondary for 12 days and just noticed (happened in the last couple of days) small white spots have appeared at the top. There are lots of them , they are small, and it's happened quickly as they weren't there a few days ago. It's not air bubbles. The only thing I can think of is an infection. Any suggestions ?

If you have been slack in your sanitation technique then it could be some kind of contamination. If you have been careful with sanitation then luck has nothing to do with it and you are probably fine. Posting a picture would be helpful.

Pics not turning out properly. All flash no substance. Anyway, I'm just going to bottle it today before it gets worse and hope for the best.

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago.. had small white spots on my belgian.

After moving it to my kitchen for bottling and letting it settle for a few hours the stuff dropped off the top.

I bottled it, and drank one yeserday.. no infection at all.

You should be ok.

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago.. had small white spots on my belgian.

After moving it to my kitchen for bottling and letting it settle for a few hours the stuff dropped off the top.

I bottled it, and drank one yeserday.. no infection at all.

You should be ok.

So far good call . Was all ready to transfer back into bottling bucket and bottle them, read your post and gave the carboy (hated to do it) a couple of shakes and they seem to be dropping down. I wonder if that puts an end to mold or infection possibilities.

So far good call . Was all ready to transfer back into bottling bucket and bottle them, read your post and gave the carboy (hated to do it) a couple of shakes and they seem to be dropping down. I wonder if that puts an end to mold or infection possibilities.
Probably just yeast clumps. If you had an infection, you'd know it. I recently had one and it was more of a web-like, nasty white growth all over the beer. I'm fairly sure it was mold. I racked out from underneath it and bottled. I'm letting that beer sit for awhile before I even think about trying it.

It was not good when I bottled, but who knows what'll happen. :)

Well , I racked and bottled it after the top sediment had dropped. Sampled it and was a little astringent and a little bitter. Beyond the obvious that its still green is this typical for a Red Ale ? Even at this early stage I was expecting a bit more mellow if all was good to go. Again wondering if I had a problem in the secondary. (first time red ale )

Few weeks ago SWMBO said " there is mold in your beer". I ran in and saw similar to what you are describing. It looked like yest clumps o me.

Latest posts

Back