Very Berry Wheat: What hops to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregBrews88

Reaction score
I am brewing a wheat ale soon and I am putting together the recipe now. It will also be infused with berries, either blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or a combo of the three. Im a little stuck when trying to figure out what hops to use. There are so many varieties out there and I don't know what I should use. Any advice? Thanks.
P.S, Here is my recipe so far.

Very Berry Wheat Ale
PM
Size: 5 gal
Boil Volume: 3.5 gal

Ingredients:
American 2-row Malt(1.25 lbs)
German Wheat Malt Light(2.25 lbs)
Crystal Malt 20L(0.5 lbs)
Muntons Dry Wheat Extract(3.0 lbs)

Well, Hallertau is my go to for any german wheat beer. If you want to make it hoppier (i.e. American Wheat) then I love Amarillo. Now, there's a hop called Sorachi Ace that's got this lemon-grassy kind of thing. I think it's kinda nice in a wheat beer. Maybe you can give that a go.

+1 to Hallertau. Strisselspalt, Crystal, and Mt. Hood also work well. With my fruit beers the hops are secondary. Get about 20 IBUs in there and 5+lbs. of fruit and you'll be fine.

gosh, you could really use just about anything. suggest keep the ibu below 25 so that it doesn't interfere with the fruit, which is the flavor you will be showcasing. i have to check but think i have user hallertauer and willamette or glacier in my fruited wheat beers and i stay in the 20-24 ibu range.

hey thanks a lot guys!

I think this is what I'm going with:
.75oz Hallertau(60 min)
.5 Saaz(15 min)

How does that sound?

Back