Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COBrewer

Reaction score
I have lived in Germany for 2 years and got addicted to their Hefeweizen beers. I have had good luck with my own batches, both extract and all grain but am looking for a good strong wheat beer to make. I have been using the WLB 300 yeast and love the banana flavors so have been fermenting a bit warmer 68-70. My Weizenbock last year was very strong, but not as thick as I like, I love a good thick mouth feel. My last batch of AG is a great color but not to thick. Anyone have an ideas or receipt of a good thick wheat German beer?

I lived in Germany for 9 years and also am a great fan of Hefe Weizens.

For a greater mouthfeel you need to add malto dextrine. It's a non-fermentable powder that can be added with the priming sugar at bottling time. ;)

I have seen some recipes call for up to 4 oz, but I think that is WAY too much. One to two ounces should do it.

I don't have a specific recipe, but have you tried steeping the specialty grains known as Carapils/Carafoam/Dextrine? They add foam, head retention and body. You can use up to 20 % in a batch.

Why not just mash higher? At what temp do you usually mash? Up your mash temp. by 5*F and see what happens.

Back