Austin Homebrew session series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
anyone tried these yet? I have a party coming up at the end of Nov. so I need something ready by then nd something that is easily consumed by bmc drinkers. I chose a dunkleweisen and a blond ale.

I just kegged my ahs session dunkelweizen on the weekend and it was at perfect carb yesterday. I probably went through a gallon with swmbo last night, a nice delightful brew. I brewed it on the 11th and let it sit in primary for 12 days, then crash cooled it for about 2 1/2 days, and finally in to the keg. I think you should be fine, unless you bottle, then you might just barely make it. Good luck. :mug:

I brewed the American Pale Ale on Oct 7th, kegged it on the 18th, and served it at a praty on the 25th. It turned out great. If you need something in a hurry this is the way to go.

I agree, I'll be ordering this one again.
Swmbo commands it. ;)

Here is a gratuitous pic:

IMG_0571.jpg

Is this a pic of a porter or a stout....and my next question is...are you using beer-gas or CO2. I found a dealer in our town that sells #20 beer-gas cylinders and my dream is to make a "oh-so creamy" Guinness. I am currently have the Porter from More Beer in my carboy and can't wait to taste it!!!

NB, B3 and Midwest all have some great session kits too, starting at $14-$16... if memory serves.

Edit: Actually almost all of Midwests kits are under $23... NB has probably no less than 8 kits of varying OG for under $18.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

All of the stores base their kit prices on the ingredients included. The more ingredients the more expensive. I think the people on this thread were talking about the flavor and quality of the session beer kits. If price is the only determining factor, people would only drink Bud.

We sell over 25,000 kits a year because people like the taste and quality of our kits. Without using any advertising, over a third of our customers on a daily basis are new customers. I feel this is a testament to the fact that people like the kits and they tell their friends. I can't have the lowest price on everything. Frequent comments that are left on our site say - this is the best beer I have ever brewed or tasted.

I don't want to compromise quality or flavor in a quest for the lowest price kit available.
With the current prices on grain and hops, it would be very easy to come out with a line of $100 kits. Barley wines, Imperials.... mmmmm

Let's hear from some customers. What do you think?

Forrest

I was commenting on BigKahunas response about cheap kits. Chill. Prices are not simply determined by the quantity of ingredients in a kit... that is a silly assumption, they are determined by the price/lb or price/oz of the ingredients included in the kit. There are several pretty detailed posts from others on here recently about the same topic. If one store sells hops for under $2 an ounce and another for $4 an ounce, thier kits will cost more, just because thier ingredients cost more on an apples to apples basis. Same goes for grain, Maris Otter for 1.45/lb and over $2/lb... of course the latter stores kits will cost more, thier base ingredients cost more on an apples to apples basis.
I was simply pointing out that if these dudes are looking for good and cheap (BigKahunas post) beers, that there are some others they should look into as well. This is a brew board, a community of friends, trying to help a brotha out if he is intersted in saving some $$ or trying other recipes. Of course the decision is up to him, but it didnt have to turn into a debate or advertisement. I am sure that prior to buying other kits that they would also look into reviews on other vendors sites as well.
I really wish that we could have a general conversation about brewing beer without it turning into an advertisement for a particular store.
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

The thread was about my kits and people were talking about my kits. No one was debating.

I don't have a problem with people buying from other stores as well. People know there are other stores that have kits and that prices vary.

I was not going to post anything but I felt I had to defend myself.

I wasn't trying to advertise.

Forrest

You dont need to defend yourself, there was a reference to a B3 kit previous to my own post in this thread. I dont think that it was improper to discuss other stores kits when another paying member to this site brought up price as a factor. This is a site supported by its members, IMHO it is up to us what we want to discuss under any thread on this site, without getting debated by a vendor. Id feel the same way if CHIcompany felt they needed to interject in any discussion about kegging supplies, or if B3, NB or Midwest felt that they needed to interject as well. This is a forum for members to speak freely and not get chastized (IMO) by a vendor for discussing other vendors under a thread about "thier kits, from thier store". It is our site.

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Thanks for speaking up The Pol. Part of paying for a membership is not having to see advertisements. Of course that's referring to the ad banners, but something about a vendor advertising in forums and threads just doesn't sit right with me. A forum is a place for discussion of its members, and we should all feel free to discuss various topics, including supply shops. If a vendor is good enough, someone will speak up and say "They may be a few dollars more, but the extra quality is worth it."

Edit: Nothing against AHS, I've never used them, and have heard mostly good things about them, just my general feelings about forums.

Thanks for speaking up The Pol. Part of paying for a membership is not having to see advertisements. Of course that's referring to the ad banners, but something about a vendor advertising in forums and threads just doesn't sit right with me. A forum is a place for discussion of its members, and we should all feel free to discuss various topics, including supply shops. If a vendor is good enough, someone will speak up and say "They may be a few dollars more, but the extra quality is worth it."

Thanks... I just dont like feeling like I have to watch what I say in any particular thread because it may not sit well with a vendor on here. I dont slander, I dont lie, I speak only the truth and let people make up thier minds. Does anyone really listen to me anyway? :D These threads, regarless of the Subject Line, are our threads as a community and we should feel free to discuss anything and all things (Boneyard) without outside influence. Now, if any member sayes anything untrue or slanderous, then, yes, that cannot be allowed by any of us members.

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

You are right. I wasn't trying to limit your free speech. I don't want to make it an issue. I am fine with people buying from what ever store they want to. I always have been.

Sorry if I came off too harsh. No offense was intended.
Congrats on the upcoming new addition to your family.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest... after the miscarriage my wife was pretty down. Yesterday was her Bday and I bought her some cute maternity sweaters for this winter, and then tortured her by taking her to Rock Bottom Brewpub for dinner... but hey, I still have to drink

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Back