hop alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruppe

Reaction score
Having just read the thread about being nice to new users, please keep that in mind. When I'm brewing, I'm here all of the time. When I'm not, not so much. I always try to research my question before asking, but the number of topics and associated threads can sometimes be overwelming. That being said, I haven't had time to brew lately, but I have kept up with my BYO and All About Beer magazines about the hop shortage. I'm sure there have been discussions about replacing one available hop for another, but have there been any about substitutes for hops with other things? I haven't seen any suggestions in the magazines, can anyone send me to a thread where it has been disscussed?

tag for this thread. I'll be interested to hear what the more skilled brewers on these boards have to say on this matter... I myself haven't heard of anyone using anything but an available hop as a substitution for the unavailable ones...

On that note, are there any threads that give basic guidelines for substitutions in these days of the shortage? I have read a lot of the ingredients guides for substitutions, but haven't come across a thread that says: "If you don't have this, use that..."

Perhaps its just my inexperience in brewing that makes me unaware of suitable substitutions that I will learn in time...

There is no real substitute for hops. :(
However there are many alternatives :)
Try doing a search on gruit which is the common term for unhopped beer. Hops was a recent change to brewing practices and many other local herbs were used to flavor hops in ancient times. A few are still used in limited brews.
Common herbs include:
heather
mugwort
sweet gale
yarrow
march rosemary (not garden rosemary)
juniper berries
spruce tips
wormwood
etc.

I intend to make a couple gruits this spring (if I ever get the time). One using heather and another using mugwort, and sweet gale. If I ever get these made I will update my results.

Craig

Back