Shot Hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question.

I have 3 hydrometers. I just brewed a couple of beer kits and two of the hydrometers just shoot way up to an unregisterable degree. One will read true. What is the deal with the other two? There seems to be no discernible difference between any of them.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Wow, that's pretty poor odds. Did you try them in ordinary water? The good one will read 1.000. Personally, with odds like that I'd suspect any one of the same style. Can you afford a refractometer?

could the paper inside have come loose?

i would say check for cracks, but this would not cause the hydrometer to rise too high, if anything it would cause it to sink.

is the s.g. scale the same on all 3 hydrometers?

Make sure that they are not Proof meters...designed to show alcohol content of distilled spirits. They look the same, but will nearly float right out of the jar in plain water.

What's the scale? They may be finish hydrometers and only read .980-1.020. The bulbs would be 2-3 times as big as well.

Latest posts

Back