Late Addition Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwood1377

Reaction score
So going to brew my third full boil extract beer. I have read many things about people doing late additions with partial boils when a full boil is not possible. I have also read that when doing a full boil there is no need for late additions but I have also read that there are people who still do late addtions with full boils as the extract is already boiled so why do it again. I'm doing the brewing networks hop grenade ipa which has 6.60 pale LME and 2 pounds pilsner DME. So I guess my question is should I just follow the directions or do late additions and if doing late additions should I add all of the DME in the begining and the LME at the last 10 -15mins. I realize everyone does things differently but just wanted to get some opinions. Not sure if there is any benefit to doing the late additions. Thanks for the help.

I was under the impression late additions were good for extract beers, full and partial boils. Due to darkening of the wort and malliard reactions from boiling already boiled extract.

Stevo is right. Boiling a ton of extract at boil start can also lend some of that extract twang taste, which I try to avoid. You also get slightly better hop utilization with late extract additions.

Whenever I use extract, I add a good portion of it late. But I never use LME, or pitch said late addition at 10-15 minutes left in the boil.

I simply add the necessary amount of Extra Light DME and Corn Sugar at flameout.

Back