BIAB 5 gallon batch with 9 gallon kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've only done small BIAB's so far (3 gallons mostly) but decided to get a 10 gallon kettle. Not a big deal but before it came I was informed it would only be 9 gallons (had a chance to cancel but decided not to).
Anyway, realistically, from those who BIAB their asses off, how much grain should I safely be able to mash? I'm thinking 14-15 lbs should be fine using 1.5 qts per lbs based on a few different calculators I've tried. That would be close it appears.
I'm a newbie at this size so feel free to ruin my day.

I did a BIAB IPA in my 15 gal pot last weekend. Had 13 lbs of grain, started with 8.75 gallons of water. Should have used a little more water. After everything is said and done and I dry hop......I will probably only end up with about 40-43 12oz bottles. The 15 gal pot works great for full volume BIAB brews.....I would have paid the extra $$ for it. Though you can add less water to your mash then add more after you pull the grains out if you want to....

that sounds like a safe estimate. With 13lbs of grain I I use 7.6 gallons of water, so it would take up about 8-8.5 gallons of water (overestimate). so you shoudl be good.

I did a BIAB IPA in my 15 gal pot last weekend. Had 13 lbs of grain, started with 8.75 gallons of water. Should have used a little more water. After everything is said and done and I dry hop......I will probably only end up with about 40-43 12oz bottles.

you started with 8.75 gallons of water and will only end up with a little over 4 gallons of beer?

I did a BIAB IPA in my 15 gal pot last weekend. Had 13 lbs of grain, started with 8.75 gallons of water. Should have used a little more water. After everything is said and done and I dry hop......I will probably only end up with about 40-43 12oz bottles. The 15 gal pot works great for full volume BIAB brews.....I would have paid the extra $$ for it. Though you can add less water to your mash then add more after you pull the grains out if you want to....

How can you start with about 75% more water, and get less than 5 gallons? You must have boiled a very long time.

EDIT: just saw the answer....sorry.

Thinking about trying BIAB for the first time. I have a 30qt pot and a 20qt pot. Can I do 5 gallons in the 30qt pot for my main BIAB/mash and then heat up another 3.5 gallons for a sparge in the smaller pot and then combine the two afterwards for my total volume?

Thinking about trying BIAB for the first time. I have a 30qt pot and a 20qt pot. Can I do 5 gallons in the 30qt pot for my main BIAB/mash and then heat up another 3.5 gallons for a sparge in the smaller pot and then combine the two afterwards for my total volume?

do it the oher way around. I mash in a ~5g cooler with BIAB and it works fine. You'll want larger pot for sparge. Use more than 1.25qts/lb. mash ratio if you can and you'll have less chance of overflow in the BK when you dunk-sparge.

to the OP: I use about 7g. total water for BIAB w/dunk sparge. I found my absorption was only about 0.1g/lb. and my boiloff was well under 1g/hr. I rack about 5.15-5.25g. after leaving trub in the BK and that allows me to bottle right around 5g. after additional trub loss.

Check out the "can I mash it?" calculator at the bottom of this page. I used to use it before I started using a 5g mash vessel...and probably will use it again when doing a bigger beer down the road...

Check out the "can I mash it?" calculator at the bottom of this page. I used to use it before I started using a 5g mash vessel...and probably will use it again when doing a bigger beer down the road...

where is the calculator?

Latest posts

Back