Paulaner Hefe. help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I found two different receipes on here for a Paulaner Hefe. clone which look pretty decent, but I wanted to maybe put my own twist on it a bit. First one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/paulaner-style-hefe-weizen-32811/ and second one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/paulaner-hefe-weizen-clone-196561/.

My idea was to use WLP300 as the yeast, 7 oz. Wheat ( Light) German/ Weyerman® as the specialty grains, and then 6lbs. of wheat DME.

Does this sound OK and will it come out somewhat close to Paulaner Hefe?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cris P.

I saw this in the Best 250 of B.Y.O. Mag.

Paulaner Hefe-clone partial mash

3.3# Briess wheat liq. malt,
2.10# wheat malt,
.91# pilsner malt
1.2oz Hallertau 60 mins.
WLP380 yeast w/1.5L starter. or Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Steep grains at 158F for 45 min.

I saw this in the Best 250 of B.Y.O. Mag.

Paulaner Hefe-clone partial mash

3.3# Briess wheat liq. malt,
2.10# wheat malt,
.91# pilsner malt
1.2oz Hallertau 60 mins.
WLP380 yeast w/1.5L starter. or Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Steep grains at 158F for 45 min.

I'm not understanding your numbers...3.3#, do you mean 3.3 lbs? and 2.10# is 2.10lbs? I don't see any grains listed...it's all malt, or maybe I'm just not reading it right.

If you use that yeast, a German hop & a 50/50 ratio of wheat to pilsner (extract or grain) to a 1.050 OG you should get something similar to Paulaner

I'm not understanding your numbers...3.3#, do you mean 3.3 lbs? and 2.10# is 2.10lbs? I don't see any grains listed...it's all malt, or maybe I'm just not reading it right.

Ya, those are meant to be pound signs and the grains are the pilsner and wheat, the other is liquid wheat malt. I don't do this type of recipe, but this is an abbreviated version from BYO.

I don't know how your recipe would compare, but the first link you post from homebrewer_99 is the recipe from the book Clone Brews. IMO and SWMBO's opinion it is a spot on clone in a side by side taste test. And the real thing was off a keg. I've brewed it with WLP 300 and it's good, but if you wait a month or two WLP 351 will be out again and it will be great!

I don't know how your recipe would compare, but the first link you post from homebrewer_99 is the recipe from the book Clone Brews. IMO and SWMBO's opinion it is a spot on clone in a side by side taste test. And the real thing was off a keg. I've brewed it with WLP 300 and it's good, but if you wait a month or two WLP 351 will be out again and it will be great!

Which yeast did you guys use? I'd rather just use one to keep it simplier and keep my costs down.

Yeah I didn't mix yeasts either. WLP300 is fine if you're brewing this in the next two months. I just checked and WLP351 isn't out until March.
Cheers!

WLP351 isn't even close to paulaners yeast strain(proprietary). Bottled versions they use a secondary yeast strain(lager) for carbonation purposes.

WLP 380 or 300 are closer choices on the yeast strain

link was dead to some good brewing tips from paulaner

Back