Brewing in T-Minus...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Well, last night, I got two starters going: one for a smackpack of Wyeast Bohemian Pils, and one for some harvested PacMan. Both are bubbling this morning. Then, before I left for work today, I filled two pots with 2.75 gallons of spring water each, and weighed out the grain in two other pots. One's a partial (mostly)-mash Imperial IPA, and the other's my first true lager, an AG sorta-Bohemian Pils. I plan on starting as soon as I can get outta the office. TGIF, bitchezzz!

A couple questions:

1) I usually mash in my 32-qt Aluminum kettle. But since I'm doing 2 mashes today, I'm also planning on using the MLT to actually mash in (usually, I mash in something else and transfer to the MLT to sparge). So here's my plan: mash both, then drain the wort from the MLT, sparge, discard spent grain, then transfer the second mash to the MLT and repeat. My question, then, is, is there any problem with mashing in the MLT? I know it's called a "mash-lauter tun" for a reason, but my concern is twofold: it's a 50L stainless MLT with a spigot (with plastic knob), and a pro false bottom that keeps the grain bed roughly 1.5" above the kettle floor. So...during the mash, if I need to add heat to the kettle, I'm concerned that the heat will damage the plastic spigot knob. Secondly, I'm concerned that, since the false bottom keeps the grains from coming into contact with roughly 1.5" of water, that my efficiency will suffer. Is this an issue?

2) I can't find a conversion tool in ProMash that tells me what temp my mash water should be. If I have 10 lbs of grain and 2.75gals of water, what temp should the water be when I add it to the grain, so as to achieve 151f?

Thanks...

First lager eh? Nice bro....good luck with that. I may do one this year sometime myself.

In promash I always start a new session. then use the water needed tab for strike water temp. Im thinking you need to be somewhere around 166-167. But Im at work so I cant help you that much right now.

*edit....you beat me to it

Any dead spaces in a system will effect brew house effeciency but I wouldn't worry about it. It will have a tiny effect on the mash because that water at bottom will no be in contact with the mash but I doubt you'd notic anything.

You'll be fine.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back