Weird thing with Founders Red's Rye PA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Founders Red's Rye PA and have been drinking it a lot lately. I REALLY like the way the rye flavor and the grapefruity hops blend together. In fact I am planning on brewing a clone soon. But I made a realization the other day while drinking it. Very soon after I pour it into a glass - like within minutes after the first few sips - it completely loses its rye flavor and citrusy hop aroma/flavor. At that point it tastes like a plain jane IPA. I've noticed it with several six packs and have tried using a few different glasses. I haven't noticed this with other IPA's much at all. I even tried drinking it right from the bottle (SWMBO looked at me like WHAT?), and even though its not quite as good as the first sips from a glass, it keeps its rye & hops flavor much better through out the entire 12 oz. I've never had any other rye beers so maybe this is a common thing? Anyone else notice this?

Back