Looking for suggestions to build my hop palate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Bizzle

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'd like to try and get my pallet for hops built up a little better.
I'm just starting, I've done a few kits, and I'd like to be able to throw together my own recipes.

I'm a hop head, double, triple, and imperial ipas are definitely my favorite beers.
Currently drinking a LOT of Victory Hop Wallop, Founders Double Trouble, Two Brothers Hop Juice, and 3 Floyds Dreadnought.

What are some beers I could try to get an idea of what hops I prefer?
It'd be nice to be able to try a bunch of beers knowing what hops they used so I can pin down what it is I like exactly.

As far as specific hop flavor Hop Wallop and Double Trouble are definitely my favorites.
Something kinda citrusy/flowery with some good tingle/bite to it.

So yeah what are some beers that might be readily available in the Chicago area that I could try to build my pallet for hops?

Depending on the selection at your local store, Troegs (Harrisburg, PA) might ship out to Chicago. Try their Nugget Nectar Troegs Brewing Company, Nugget Nectar Ale.

They also have a new release - Flying Mouflan - that I haven't had yet, but this is from their site and it is over 100 IBU's:
“We classify this beer as pushing Nugget Nectar off the side of a cliff,” said John Trogner. “It is bold and intense–think hops dipped in candied sugar and rolled in dark chocolate nibs. Over time, the Flying Mouflan transforms into lush raisin and chocolate overtones as the hops subside and the rich barley flavors come out in the beer.”

Maybe I should clarify a little better.

I'm looking for suggestions like:

Beer A - Uses lots of Cascade and Centennial
Beer B - Lots and lots of Amarillo

ETC

I have been doing the same thing and finding a lot of good information on the Brewery's website. I'd say that is your best best.

pallet.gif

<>

palette-diagram.png

Back