Belhaven Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
Because dancingbarefoot asked, here's the CB recipe for Belhaven Scottish Ale.

Belhaven Scottish Ale
from Clone Brews

12 oz. 55°L British crystal malt
2 oz. toasted 2-row pale malt
2 oz. peat-smoked malt

6.6 lb. John Bull light malt syrup
2.75 lb. M&F light DME
4 oz. black treacle
4 oz. cane sugar

2 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 6% AA (bittering)

½ oz. East Kent Goldings (flavor hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss

Wyeast 1728 Scottish ale yeast, or
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley ale yeast

Yield: 5 gallons
OG: 1.074 - 1.077
FG: 1.015 - 1.019
IBU: 35
SRM: 18
ABV: 7.5%

The above is verbatim from Clone Brews. Note that this isn't the same Belhaven Scottish Ale that you were drinking Saturday night...this is the old Belhaven that we used to get in Tejas...7.5% ABV as opposed to ~ 5.5%. The taste is the same IIRC, but this will have a much more pronounced alcohol warmth, obviously.

If I was going to make this right now, I'd just use 10 lb. of Alexander's Pale LME instead of the LME/DME listed...it's cheap and fresh at DeFalco's. In fact, I'd go ahead and make it 11 lbs of LME and up it to a 5.5 gallon batch...if you do that go ahead and use 13 oz of 55°L.

Any further brewing instructions?
How long to steep and what temp?
Sorry, I am very new to brewing, but this is one of my favorite beer.

Thanks

But if you never used black treacle before your in for a treat but use in small amount because it effects the color and alcohol increasingly so and depending on the style of beer it will be out of spec of the target your trying make, such as the belhaven clone. Scottish ales arent very bitter and arnt very dark either.

1.071 Final Gravity: 1.020 ABV: 6.79% IBU: 16.72 SRM: 11.55

Matches Style: ApproxColor: Less...
Select Equations and Match Style
Gravity and Alcohol This Batch Style
Boil Gravity 1.131
Original Gravity 1.071 1.04 - 1.054
Final Gravity 1.020 1.01 - 1.016
ABV Standard 6.79% 3.9 - 5%
ABV Alternate 7.18% 3.9 - 5%
Bitterness This Batch Style
IBU Tinseth 16.72 15 - 30
IBU Rager 29.89 15 - 30
Color This Batch Style
SRM Morey 11.55 9 - 17
SRM Daniels 12.35 9 - 17
SRM Mosher 10.63 9 - 17
ECB Morey 22.76 17.7 - 33.5
Efficiency at 75%

This is info from http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/ according to the recipe stated above. I never had the original high test version but the normal belhaven that we can get today i have and the recipe is a little high for that taste if im not mistaken. Belhaven is like a 5.5 abv and has ibus of like 10 give or take no higher. Also belhaven is a scottish ale either export 80 or 70 schling.

This recipe supports more of a light colored strong scotch ale. Which has more hops and more alcohol content. I mean no offense it would create a great beer to drink but if your looking for something very close to the belhaven Scottish ale clone recipe this i dont think it will do since its more of a stronger beer between a wee heavy and a strong scotch ale, just saying

Anyone feel like correcting me they can but the Scottish ale beer isnt as strong as this recipe says it is. Also i believe they dont use peated malt at all and if not careful it can make a beer very oakey tasting, if people do use it.

Anyone ever come up with a solid AG recipe for the American version of the Scottish Ale 5.2% ?

Last edited:
I worked on a clone recipe a few years ago (as I have their primary yeast culture in my collection) and got the following after some emailing; Scottish pale malt with around 10% maltose syrup. Was not sure if they are using colored syrup or not, but either the syrup component has a dark color like brewers sugar (or is), or they are using a small amount of black malt. I ended up using 1% or so of black malt for color and was happy with the results. I've also brewed the same recipe with 5% dark crystal (70L) to approximate some of the oxidized-caramel character found in the US version and it turned out closest in flavor to the bottle. Hops are UK challenger and EKG at 21 IBU, mostly early kettle additions. Their yeast adds much of the beer's character, although your standard Scottish yeast is a close approximation. I particularly enjoyed this one served on nitro.

Here is what I ended up brewing from Brewers Friend. Hope it’s close!

10lbs Golden Promise
1lb Aromtatic Malt
8oz Roasted Barley
4oz Chocolate
4oz Victory
2oz Peated
4oz Molasses
4oz Beet Sugar

1oz EKG 60min
1oz EKG 15min
Imperial Tartan Yeast

OG 1.056 I hit 1.060
24IBU
25SRM

Update: 12/6/18 Recipe I posted above is way off to say the least! Way to dark and earthly. I’m not sure why I thought this was close but decided to give it a try. It’s not a bad beer, definitely drinkable but not a smooth Belhaven Scotch Ale.

My next attempt I’m going to go simple as NortherBrewer has explained in other threads. Why has no one figured this beer out yet?

Last edited:
Back