cloudy cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
Just wondering when it is supposed to clear up, it’s going on its 3rd week and the fermentation is slowing down as well.

It really depends. Usually after fermentation is finished it will fall clear soon. Sometimes it doesn't ever clear on its own, but not usually.

Did you use pectic enzyme? Sometimes people get a pectin haze, especially if they heated the cider to pasteurize it.

Last years batch took months to settle out for me. I have 3 types going this year. 1 5gal used Ale yeast, 6 gal with Wine yeast, and 5 gallons au' natural. So far the Ale yeast has finished fermentation (gotta take a hydro to be sure though) and is settling out nicely. The Wine is still going pretty strong (I am expecting this one to finish out bone dry) and the third I *think* is finishing. Out of the 3, the Ale yeast batch is noticeably clearer, but still not clear.

Tielson's said:
Just wondering when it is supposed to clear up, it’s going on its 3rd week and the fermentation is slowing down as well.

Yeah, you shouldn't be measuring this in weeks. Months is more like it.
3 months will get you something reasonable clear, but more time is definately better with cider.

marisa_arrr said:
zoebisch01 when did you start the batch with the ale yeast?

Well we went to the press on 10/6/07. I threw some Campden in, and then 2 days later added yeasts. I have been keeping a 'loose' eye on it, and it seems to have halted airlock activity around last week. So about 3 weeks. I think the Wine yeast batch is still very slowly bubbling. I think I'll just go straight to bottle with the Ale and natural ciders and let them condition in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back