DOH! ~ I pulled a boner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bishop916

Reaction score
I was finishing up an All grain Belgian Blonde - in the carboy cooled and ready to pitch... I get the yeast from where it had been resting and shook the lil' vial ~ maybe a bit too much trying to get the yeast caked on the sides and out of the bottom ~ ... so, when I opened it next to the opening of the carboy, it fizzed everywhere kinda like when you shake a sodapop, kinda messy and surprising all at once, anyways I lost about a third (maybe more) of the yeast and handily dropped the cap of the vial INTO THE CARBOY...

1) Do I need to buy more yeast?
2) I am leaving the cap where it is, I figure the damage is done (if any)

:drunk:

- B916

I wrote it down at home, I will have to get back to ya on that, - I was just wondering if 2/3 vial of WL is enough to get it started or if I will have to get more, as I'm assuming the yeast will multiply to some extent.
Thanks.

- B916

Lucky for you, yeast propogate and multiply if they have a good sugar source and good oxygen source. This fermentation may take an extra day or two than normal, but you should get a fully attenuated beer.

If for some reason your FG seems a little high, then you would want to think about pitching more. For now, let it ride.

A good habit if you use the WL vials is as soon as you start brewing, put the vial in yo pocket!! That's what I used to do :mug:

Thats a good idea! I normally shake da hell outta it, then release pressure little by little when opening. I'm going try your technique next time!

TopherM said:
Oh, also, I'm no doctor, but I doubt you actually pulled a boner. Probably a groin. Rest up.

I can't stop giggling. I would never want to pull a boner!

This EXACT same thing happened to me on a Brown Ale I made awhile back. Easily half of the vial ended up on the Kitchen floor. I cursed the Gods for a while, and then eventually I forgot about it.

It turned out to be the best beer I've brewed to date.

This EXACT same thing happened to me on a Brown Ale I made awhile back. Easily half of the vial ended up on the Kitchen floor. I cursed the Gods for a while, and then eventually I forgot about it.

It turned out to be the best beer I've brewed to date.

Here's looking to the best beer I've ever brewed then!

Thanks for the reassurances everyone!

:mug:

- B916

Back