Recommend me a savory tasting lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndApple

Reaction score
Most common recommendation for me was fermenting Hefeweizen at lower temperature to minimise the production of esters. The bready aroma of Hefeweizen is what got me hooked.

However, I wonder if there's a lager recipe that I'd like. I really like savoury beers. Maybe I should try doing the Hefeweizen with lager yeast for the winter months?

Thanks in advance.

Could you describe what you mean by 'savoury'?

To me savory means "more salty/meaty as opposed to sweet". Like US southern biscuits vs. UK scones. They are basically the exact same thing except the UK scone is sweet and the US biscuit is savory.

Guess I used a wrong term.

I like something that has smell/taste of bread.

Saying that, Anyone tried doing Hefeweizen with lager yeast?

Well, a hefeweizen is all about the yeast. All of the smell/flavor/texture comes from the hefewezien yeast.

Lager yeast is very clean, and makes a crisp beer. If you make a hefeweizen with lager yeast, it'll be a wheat lager. Nothing like a hefeweizen at all.

Like US southern biscuits vs. UK scones. They are basically the exact same thing except the UK scone is sweet and the US biscuit is savory.

Not to go way off topic here but I wouldn't call biscuits and scones exactly the same thing. While the ingredients are similar scones would have a higher percentage of fat (and usually butter instead of lard or shortening) to flour and less leavening than a biscuit. I will agree that both are delicious. :mug:

Well, a hefeweizen is all about the yeast. All of the smell/flavor/texture comes from the hefewezien yeast.

Lager yeast is very clean, and makes a crisp beer. If you make a hefeweizen with lager yeast, it'll be a wheat lager. Nothing like a hefeweizen at all.

For a lager if you use enough wheat though (40% or more) the flavor of the wheat will be unmistakable and VERY different from the typical lager. Heck it's pretty easy to pick out corn when used at ~20 % of the grain bill. Beers with wheat in them don't clear as well (even with a good floculating yeast) so I suspect that is why it isn't used more in lagers

Also an ale with no wheat but fermented with a Wheat beer yeast will be very different from the same beer with wheat in the grain bill. The wheat and yeast flavors complement each other very well in a std. wheat beer.

I've got a wheat ale on tap now fermented with Safale 04 and the wheat is unmistakeable. It had some clove, and this is fading after ~ 1 mo. on tap. There were no other esters. This was fermented at 66 F

Back