Gelatin Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Okay so I have done a pretty good amount of research on this topic and Im convinced to at least try some gelatin in order to cure my chill-haze-riddled homebrew. I have BeirMuncher's technique and im going to trust it (seems to be what everyone does):

"I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per tablespoon.

Stir it up and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to hydrate and bloom.

Put the pot on the stove and heat until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.

Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).

Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer."

Looks good to me!

However, am I supposed to keep a gelatinized secondary sitting at room temp for a few days before cold crashing? Maybe go straight to cold crashing? And how long to cold crash for effective settling?

I think im good after I know that.

Why not try and crash cool before you add Gelatin? When you crash cool, get the beer as cold as you can (under 40 is great) that way yeast, hops and trub fall out of suspension. Then add the Gelatin, give it a stir or a swirl and let it sit cold for 3 -5 days, then rack into bottling bucket or keg. I do all this in the primary.

Eastside

I rest for 7 days at 45*F and then crash down to 33*F for another 3-4. I find this to firmly pack the yeast into a cake and helps mitigate stirring up and sucking up a lot of yeast at racking.

Back