Honey malt to replace C-20 in Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scroto

Reaction score
Greetings HBT I don't post often but I love the place and wealth of knowledge that abounds!

I've been curious about what Honey malt contributes to a beer and my question today is specifically how much is an appropriate amount to use in a blonde ale.

The blonde ale I normally brew is 94% 2-row and 6% c-20 with an OG of 1.045 and a 20ish IBU bittering addition.

I'm wondering if replacing the c-20 with an equal amount of Honey malt(25L) will be a decent switch so as to get a feel for what kind of flavor it brings to the party.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Cheers,
Scroto

If my math is right, that works out to 6oz or so in 5 gallons?

You'll definitely get a "feel" for it at that level, but it shouldn't be too overpowering. Expect more residual sweetness and a noticeable honey aroma/flavor.

If my math is right, that works out to 6oz or so in 5 gallons?

You'll definitely get a "feel" for it at that level, but it shouldn't be too overpowering. Expect more residual sweetness and a noticeable honey aroma/flavor.

Close. I've got it at 8oz. for a 5.5gallon batch.

Thanks for the answers guys I appreciate it! I'm excited to taste the difference and I'll try to remember to post some perceived differences.

Close. I've got it at 8oz. for a 5.5gallon batch.

Thanks for the answers guys I appreciate it! I'm excited to taste the difference and I'll try to remember to post some perceived differences.

Yeah, I didn't account for efficiency. :drunk:

Anyway, have fun with your experiment!

I think you'll definitely notice it. I'd like to know how it turns out. I expect it will be much sweeter than your normal recipe even at 8oz.

Back