My God Weddings Are A Pain!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firerat

F-You I'm Drunk
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting married to my beautiful fiance' in January. I proposed to her back in February, and my God has this year been a whirlwind!!

Guest lists, measurements, groomsmen measurements, DJ's, photographers, caterers, seating charts, getting everyone to RSVP on time, marriage licence, marriage class, booking honeymoon, food tastings, cake tastings, getting my mother to quit complaining that things aren't her way, surprise bridal shower that I somehow got involved with, picking wedding bands, picking groomsmen gifts, limo services, learning to dance, song lists......

MY GOD!!!! No wonder I lost my hair at 26!!

This thing was originally going to be small. Maybe 50 people. Now it's 150 people!! (thank God her folks are footing the bill. hehe) I don't even know 150 people!!

We were supposed to have 2 groomsmen and 2 brides maids. We now have 6 each!!

Oh and 1 photographer wasn't enough. Now we have 2. And a videographer.

And flowers.....no man should have to deal with flowers. AHHHHHH!!

The things we do for love.

I can't wait to be posted up on a beach chair in Jamaica with a beer in my hand and a cigar in my mouth!!

No wonder men usually die first!!!

That's because you did it wrong. This is how a Guy's wedding plans go.

Tuxes, Preacher, Grommsmen gifts, Beer, Honeymoon booking. Those were my 5 jobs. :D Planning weddings is easy.

Tuxes, Preacher, Grommsmen gifts, Beer, Honeymoon booking. Those were my 5 jobs. :D Planning weddings is easy.

Oh how I wish I could have gotten away with that.

But ohhhhh nooooo. Not with my girl!! lol

Inside 50 days left of this!!

Thanks for the congrats!!

I really do love her and she is a hell of a woman!!

Well enjoy the wedding, all 5 minutes of it that you'll remember:) Once we were turned and walking down, I was like, "What, that was it? We're married now? Tap the kegs!" Granted, we had a 12 minute wedding from her walking down to us walking back :)

I proposed she said yes. I figured i was only there for 2 things

#1 pay for it
#2 say I do.

I had her tell me when and where and that was about the extent of it. SWMBO planned the rest and her folks bought us a honeymoon so I didn't even have to do that. Very good wedding.

Ding, ding, ding, ding....We have a winner!

When I proposed to my wife I told her the following..... I said that I am just as happy to be married by an Elvis impersonator in Vegas as I am to have a big wedding in a church. It doesn't matter to me. Therefore, since this is YOUR day, if you want a big church wedding then the plans are up to you and YOU ALONE. At that moment she was sooooo happy about getting a ring that she agreed without question.

I did, however, decide to take care of the things that were important to me in regards to the wedding/reception:

1) I wanted good music, so I handled booking the DJ.
2) I wanted free beer and wine for our guests, so I handled that as well.
3) I handled the groomsmen gift and tuxes since they were for my friends.
4) My younger brother is a minister, so I handled booking him to do our wedding.
5) I booked the honeymoon. Had I not I'm sure we'd still be paying it off 7 years later. Cancun may not be Hawaii, but it's about a tenth of the price.
6) I took part in registering for gifts. Had I not we would have ended up with a crap load of crystal and china sitting in our closet. ;)

Aside from those 6 things I had ZERO to do with anything else. :D

Just don't get sucked into doing one of those silly "whacky" dances that you don't expect to see at weddings. Anyone that is desperate enough to plan their wedding to make a youtube video is desperate enough to rip out your eyeballs and pee in the empty sockets just to gain the attention of spotty faced 16 year old wankers with a kooky bride fetish.....Just saying it as it is! ;)

My god, how the internet has enhanced my sceptisism!

1) I wanted good music, so I handled booking the DJ.

Hear that. Originally the inlaws wanted a cheesy wedding singer. Lame. So I took care of the DJ.

2) I wanted free beer and wine for our guests, so I handled that as well.

This, along with the DJ, were my priorities. I have a lot of thirsty relatives. lol :tank:

3) I handled the groomsmen gift and tuxes since they were for my friends.

She picked the tuxes but gifts were all me.

4) My younger brother is a minister, so I handled booking him to do our wedding.

We decided to not do a religious wedding because she is Jewish and I'm an agnostic. So we got her brother, who is a lawyer to take care of that.

5) I booked the honeymoon. Had I not I'm sure we'd still be paying it off 7 years later. Cancun may not be Hawaii, but it's about a tenth of the price.

Sandals Jamaica have some damn fine deals man.

6) I took part in registering for gifts. Had I not we would have ended up with a crap load of crystal and china sitting in our closet. ;)

This is something I should have taken part in. I did throw a few things in there but for the most it was all her. But you gotta love Bed Bath and Beyonds return policy!! Hehe

I basically let my wife and her mom and her several Aunts take care of most all of it. I picked Tux and showed up and that was that. We went inexpensive due to not having much money, but she had more than a few relatives willing to cook and help.

Which sandals are you going to? Unless you like red stripe, dont get too excited about the beer in Jamaica! We went to Riu Ochos Rio which was right next to and shared buildings with Sandals Ochos Rio.

And after you get on that plane you might be thinking you are finally done with all the wedding stuff....

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! (Imagine that billy mays style)

There are thank you cards and setting up your album. Your wife will no doubtingly ask for your help with the cards and your opinion on the album. The cards are a pain since you have no idea what to write to all these people you dont know. I pretty much wrote the same thing on the ones i wrote. Something to the effect of "Thank you for coming and celebrating our wedding with us. We had a great time and hope you did too." Its a pain. I got married in Nov 08 and we just got around to the cards. The photo album is a pain because she will be asking which pictures you want in the album. I really didn't mind and when she asked I would give her an honest opinion, and of course she did not like whatever picture I suggested for whatever reason. I am glad its done with. Now there is a baby on the way in 9 months and thankfully all we will have to do it more thank you cards for that.

Hi Fire (and everyone else) -

I appreciate the humor in this thread, but am going to be serious for a moment. Please feel free to look away, get a cup of coffee, whatever you need to do if you're not interested . . . :)

I'll be married 25 years this coming summer and I tell guys I know who are getting married now that its good to be involved in the wedding, as long as the wedding becomes a meaningful ritual for you. In other words, if its a typical "party with a theme" then yeah, who cares. But if its a ritual that marks the beginning of your partnership together - don't just leave it to the woman. This isn't woman's work - dig into and get something good going.

Focus on what will make this meaningful to you - how do you want to mark this serious, life changing, all consuming milestone? By focusing on the DJ? Or the flowers? No - take it seriously, figure out what will make this meaningful for you, roll up your sleeves and get it done.

And congratulations!

"When I proposed to my wife I told her the following..... I said that I am just as happy to be married by an Elvis impersonator in Vegas ..."

I did get married by an Elvis impersonater in Vegas. And it wasn't the young Elvis.

My wife and I were married and honeymooned at Sandals for this very reason.

They took care of EVERYTHING, it was just her and I (no pesky relatives to ruin our day) and it was all under $4,000 for a full week.

It was the best week of our lives... $4,000. We could have spent $30,000 and had a miserable time with family, that just seemed silly.

Which sandals are you going to? Unless you like red stripe, dont get too excited about the beer in Jamaica! We went to Riu Ochos Rio which was right next to and shared buildings with Sandals Ochos Rio.

Yeah it's Och Rios. I've actually been there before so I know kind of what to expect. I'll be drinking mostly fruity island drinks with the ocaisional Red Stripe.

At keast it's not Bud-Light.

And after you get on that plane you might be thinking you are finally done with all the wedding stuff....

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! (Imagine that billy mays style)

Thank yous and album opinions at this point will be releif. LOL

I appreciate the comments in this thread everyone. I didn't think I'd get this many responses.

My wife and I put on some non-scruffy clothes and stood in front of the mayor for ten minutes. Being forced to marry within a short time scale by the gubermint kinda sucks any romance out of the occasion. ;)

If I ever had a (god forbid) 2nd wedding I could see the resort no family thing. But neither of us would want a wedding without family there. I do understand this depends solely on the family in question. Congrats again to the OP.

If I ever had a (god forbid) 2nd wedding I could see the resort no family thing. But neither of us would want a wedding without family there. I do understand this depends solely on the family in question. Congrats again to the OP.

Yeah, for me it's easy. I only have 6 survivng members of my family. It would be easy to get them over to Jamaica with us. Not too expensive.

But for her, well thats a whole different story. Her mom has 3 brothers and 2 sisters, and her father has 4 brothers and 1 sister. And she is close with ALL OF THEM!!!

If I was footing this bill, then it's tropical drinks in the island sun. But her folks want to pay, so bring everyone you want.

One thing we all agreed on was no kids. Otherwise it would be a clusterf*ck given the amount of little-uns on her side. Thank goodness!!

My favorite wedding happened at a party. It didn't start out as a wedding, but the couple was there, the minister was there, the license was done (including the mandatory STD testing, this was a while ago). The minister asked Paul if he had gotten the paperwork done, Paul said, yeah. Connie decided then was good, vows were said, and the party continued after throwing the lucky couple in the pool.

threads like this make me happy we simply flew to Vegas with our sets of parents, had a nice chapel wedding, limo ride, dinner at a 5-star restaurant in the Luxor, then caught Penn & Teller over at the Rio.

flew home 5 days later and had a reception with some tastee catering.

we had a great time and spent less than many brides spend on their damned dress.

Back