Holy Pumpkin Batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished racking a batch of Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin to secondary (the original extract version; not the revised one). Hit my FG at 1.011 perfectly. Tastes outstanding, not too much pumpkin or spice, just a hint of each. Just the way I like it.:ban:

This one provides serious trub, as has been noted. About 2 3/4 inches of pumpkin junk left behind, which equates to almost 1 gallon of nothing but trub. And I had to fish through that to find the grommet that fell into when I pushed the airlock on too hard.

Yield is just shy of 4 gallons. All that headspace in the 6 gallon better bottle doesn't look good. I don't think it will be a problem. I toyed with idea of moving some of the trub to the secondary to give it more time on the pumpkin but decided it wasn't necessary. Opinions?

When I made my pumpkin ale I only had the pumpkin in the primary and did not use any for the secondary, however I wanted more pumpkin flavor so I think this year I plan on adding half the amount that I used in the primary- in the secondary.

FYI
I always roast my pumpkin in the oven on a cookie sheet with spices for a hour or so before putting in the second/primary. .

Roasted mine, too, but not with spices. I like the amount of pumpkin flavor. I did learn, however, to go with bigger volume to account for the trub loss.

Roasted mine, too, but not with spices. I like the amount of pumpkin flavor. I did learn, however, to go with bigger volume to account for the trub loss.

I agree, I had a lot of trub too. What color did you achieve. Mine was darker than I anticipated.

Latest posts

Back