Blow off ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Ok so I came home today and the fermentation on my ESB-ish beer is going like crazy and the blowoff water was all brown and bubbly and I got to wondering about exactly how much affect it has on the final product to lose that liquid and krausen. So on a 5gal batch say you lose about 2 cups of liquid in the blowoff what does that really equal to in overall flavor?

no problem at all.

some people swear by using fermcap to prevent having to use a blow off tube, I have only used it once and it did its job, so it might be something to look into in the future.

Yeah its not a big deal I dont think I just wondered if it made any difference in the flavor of the beer if you did or didnt lose all that. I know its not really much in liquid volume just seems that way because its all bubbles.

it shouldn't change the flavor, the way I see it. You're losing a small portion of the beer and not diluting it or anything. I would bet on nothing changing.

I believe in the Joy of Homebrewing, the author says that Krausen removal will clean up the beer as far as less headache/hungover feelings after drinking. I am a beginner, but that's what Papazzian says...

Back