What is up with Paula Dean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Pistolero said:
I do to...is he gone? :(

I'm assuming you don't miss him in a frugal gourmet kind of way? :eek: ;)

LOL. :D

He died a few years ago, I think. He was a funny dude. Good cook, too!

El Pistolero said:
I do to...is he gone? :(

you know he wasn't even a cajun!!! he was from Jersey or somewhere up there.:mad:

DeRoux's Broux said:
you know he wasn't even a cajun!!! he was from Jersey or somewhere up there.:mad:

Born in Roseland, LA April 24, 1914, Justin Wilson was of English and French extraction, the son of another legend in the state, Harry D. Wilson, Louisiana's long-time Commissioner of Agriculture, in a state where its politics border on religion. Justin was always popular at political rallies for his favorite candidates, but he eschewed political career and to become a raconteur extraordinaire and goodwill ambassador of the Louisiana Cajun for more than 60 years.

http://www.justinwilson.com/laoriginal.htm

El Pistolero said:

Did you guys ever watch his show? I did a time or two and I don't think Frugal was the way to describe his cooking. He was like "I had these lobsters flown in from Maine this morning...." Maybe it was frugal because you didn't have to hire a chef or something.

billybrew said:
Did you guys ever watch his show? I did a time or two and I don't think Frugal was the way to describe his cooking. He was like "I had these lobsters flown in from Maine this morning...." Maybe it was frugal because you didn't have to hire a chef or something.

he used to come on my local PBS station. i thought he was kinda funny. looked like one of my science teachers in school....

i like Lidia's Italian American Kitchen on PBS....she rocks!

Not to derail the thread but, the beer and tomato juice drink is called a Red-eye in Canada and they are really awesome the day after. Get one down and you're usually good to go again. We usually use Clamato instead of tomato though. Clamato is tomato juice with clam juice mixed in. I don't know which Canuck thought it up but it's awesome. I think you guys have a similar product called Kermata by Libby's.
Now, back to this FTV discussion... Do you guys get the Thirsty Traveller? I know it's produced by FTV Candada. It's a guy who travels all over the world trying every country's national drink. He goes to all the best places / wateringholes / festivals to sample the different boozes and then goes to the brewery / distillery / monastary where it's made. I expect you don't get it because it would have surfaced in this thread by now.

Of course, my fave is Alton though.

Cheyco said:
We usually use Clamato instead of tomato though. Clamato is tomato juice with clam juice mixed in. I don't know which Canuck thought it up but it's awesome. I think you guys have a similar product called Kermata by Libby's.

You can buy Clamato juice in the US. I've seen it in the stores before.

I think Richard Genni (sp?), a comedian, summed it up best when discussing Clamato juice in his act:

Who the f**k came up with that?

"Hey, this tomato juice is pretty good, but you know what it needs? Some fish!"

Get that away from me! Here, you disgusting bastard... how about a nice glass of apple-flounder?

-walker

Cheyco said:
Now, back to this FTV discussion... Do you guys get the Thirsty Traveller? I know it's produced by FTV Candada. It's a guy who travels all over the world trying every country's national drink. He goes to all the best places / wateringholes / festivals to sample the different boozes and then goes to the brewery / distillery / monastary where it's made. I expect you don't get it because it would have surfaced in this thread by now.

Of course, my fave is Alton though.

we do, because i've seen it before. just don't remember if it was on FTV or Travel Channel? it is a cool show.

back in high school i worked at a mom and pop grocery, asnd we'd sell the hell outta clamato juice. never could figure out why? now i know!

Went camping in Canada many years ago. The campground was full of older canadians on vacation ('camping' with large vehicles). Every morning, we got up and joined them for bloody ceasar's around a morning camp fire...

I drank it out of social obligation, but I'm not a big fan of tomato juice OR clams, so I only had one a day with them.

-walker

Mexicans have a beer-based drink called a michelada (mi chelada...my drink) that has dozens of regional variations, but one is a glass full of ice with a salted rim, a splash of clamato, and then beer. Other variations include chili powder in the drink, chili powder on the rim with the salt, lemon juice instead of clamato, a splash of jugo de magi (kind of like Worcestshire), etc. As strange as it seems, I really like them!

Been to GP lots. It's grown quite a bit I expect since you were there. The HW from there to Whitecourt is nearly all 4-lane divided now.

In Costa-Rica the micheladas are all lime juice with a salt rimmer. They are awesome in the heat. Sometimes I make them for the folks back home.

Yeah, I was there 70-73 when dear ol' Dad was building bridges and cutting in roads for P&G Cellulose (Buckeye back then). Last time I visited was '85. I don't think there was a 4-lane anywhere except to the liquor store.

you couldnt pay me to drink tomatoe juice...the best hangover helper ive ever had is a product you cant get in the u.s., they sell it in england and possibly canada, its an alkaseltzer type powder that has vitamins and minerals in it, but the main ingredient is codein. (hence why its not available in the u.s.) Not only do you feel better, you feel great! the last time i had it we were putting it in our beer and drinking it the night before our hangover...(codien+alcohol=good times...)

DeRoux's Broux said:
menudo is good for a hang-over too....and i don't mean the spanish boy band fromthe 80's :~)

It actually seems that this is the only USE for menudo.

When I was in CA, I lived in a neighborhood that was about 95% hispanic, 4.999% Vietnamese, and 0.0001% The Walkers. There were a lot of little mexican restaurants in the area.

All of them served menudo, but only on Saturday and Sunday morning!

-walker

The BEST cure for a hangover is to not stop drinking - duh! Haven't you guys figured that out yet?! Think about it - when did you get your last hangover? Sometime after you stopped drinking!

"Thirsty Traveler" is on the Travel Channel here in the US. He did a show recently on Belgian beers and went inside the Orval Brewery. It was a good episode.

The Frugal Gourmet, R.I.P. - I have some of his books and used to like that guy - till he got hauled into court for liking guys himself. :(

Back