How to control wine fermentaion temprature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itfaster

Reaction score
I'm new to wine making. The wine kit need the 1st fermentaion work best at 70F. But my basement is only around 60F maxinum. I have no other room have relative consistent tempareture. Wondering how do you guys control and maintain the best temperature? Do some of you buy thermobag or any other choice available? Any suggestions?

itfaster said:
I'm new to wine making. The wine kit need the 1st fermentaion work best at 70F. But my basement is only around 60F maxinum. I have no other room have relative consistent tempareture. Wondering how do you guys control and maintain the best temperature? Do some of you buy thermobag or any other choice available? Any suggestions?

Easy cheep soulution. Start it in your shower. Temp will be closer to 70. If it bubbles over clean up is easy. After two to three days of good strong fermenting you can move it to the bacement. Wraped in a blanket it will maintain temp just fine. Or leave it in the shower untill done with fermenting. Then move to bacement after first racking.

If you must start it in the bacement try one of these choices. Buy a brew belt from your home brew shop. Wrap it in a heated blanket. Wrap it in a plain blanket with a few heated rice filled socks or hand warmers. Set it on a heating pad, garden type or pet type.
Onece up to temp the active fermentaion will make its own heat. So keep an eye one it. Under 80 degrees please!
You can also use part of the juice to make a big strong yeast starter. Once that is going good add it to the colder pail. Hopfully that will be enough to get the yeast going. It can ferment at 60. It will just be very slow.
Good luck!

I do beer as well as wine. In the winter months I keep the house pretty cool so I bottle carb in my smallest bathroom. It is like 3' x 4' and not used. I found a small ceramic heater that has temperature control set to 70. I am not sure if that counts as a room with consistent temperature but it works and the heater does not run very much.

Back