Refridgeration Unit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MntFresh

Reaction score
Hey guys.. i found a working fridge, and i would like to take that refrigeration unit out of it, and then mod it to an insulated chest to use as a cooler / lagering unit and maybe later turn into a keggerater.

My question is if anyone knows how to remove the refrigeration unit from a fridge quick and efficiently. From what i see is that the compressor is in front of the cooling coils but i don't know what else is attached to the actual coils and attached the the compressor is some copper tubing running up to the actual fridge unit. Next to the compressor is the water intake for the freezer.

If you could help me in this mission i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks much guys!

I will take some pictures and post them once ia m able to grab a camera. Thanks again!

If this is a dorm fridge, unscrew/unbolt and cut away at the chest part to free a channel for the cooling tube to move out through. If this is for a full size fridge, I do not think this can be done with a great chance of success. There are too many possibilities to kink the lines. If it is free and you cannot use it in the current state, I'd go for it, but I would say there is a more likely than not chance you will toast the cooling abilities.

it is a full fridge, and its free, but we kind of have to do it incognito.. wink wink... and time is quick.. but your info was appreciated.. i will have exactly like the fridge and i will be taking the unit from, so i will try to take a better look at what exactly needs to be done.

Back