Wife says no on Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well today we went over to medford Oregon. We went to Barnes and Nobel so she could get her books and then we went to the be store grains beans and things. First time there. The owner was very helpful cause i forgot my shopping list. He even helped the wife with coffers that he sells that Dr. Oz suggested. So i got what what i needed and she did to. I told her when we got home i order the tap a draft and she said that is good at least i won't have to see all the beer bottles. And she said at least you have a hobby you like so she said she cannot complain. Besides her books cost seventy a month so we worked it to that is what i can spend a month. She does like the first beer i made so it will be a slow process. There is a guy spelling a generator in town for sixty five so if it still available next month she said i could get that.
Oh and everyone's post was funny even wife thought so too. She is good and takes it all as joking

Oh and the wife said for my birthday present which is not until April that i may get a conical fermenter if i am good

Oh and the wife said for my birthday present which is not until April that i may get a conical fermenter if i am good

"if I am good" She's got you leashed good! Seriously though, a CL freezer + ebay temp. controller almost assuredly will cost less than a decent conical and take up a similar amount of space...:mug:

When I ask my wife about things like this, I'm really just telling her what I plan on doing next. She knows that though.

Amen to that.

I picked up two brand new in the box GE 7 cubic footers for 100 dollars each. One is already fermenting 10 gallons of Lager and the other is scheduled to become a kegerator after the first of the year. But wow I am pricing my start-up for 4 kegs at about 800 dollars. This little hobby of mine is getting expensive.

Yep. I recently upgraded from a 3-tap kegerator to a 5-tap keezer. Even with the ability to re-use all sorts of stuff (including CO2 tank & regulator), I was probably out about the same amount at the end of the day.

But you space it out a bit, order things from a bunch of different suppliers, and next thing you know you've got a keezer and your wife can't quite figure out exactly how much was spent ;)

Yep. I recently upgraded from a 3-tap kegerator to a 5-tap keezer. Even with the ability to re-use all sorts of stuff (including CO2 tank & regulator), I was probably out about the same amount at the end of the day.

But you space it out a bit, order things from a bunch of different suppliers, and next thing you know you've got a keezer and your wife can't quite figure out exactly how much was spent ;)

Or have seperate bank accounts :) I never hide money from her but that just means she never looks at things so long as the bills are getting paid. It also makes birthdays and Christmas fun since they have no clue just how much you spend.

When I ask my wife about things like this, I'm really just telling her what I plan on doing next. She knows that though.

The key is that most big acquisitions have a lot of parts, so you can buy them over time to make it look less like you just spent $500 on kegging equipment (even though objectively, it won't work without every single part :D).

Once you get past kegging and an All-Grain setup, the really expensive outlays kind of slow down unless you really want to upgrade to electric breweries or heated conicals or something. Then again, there's always something to buy.

Its like last year when I took my daughter skiing in Utah for Xmas. A month after we get back I tell the wife I need to go back to Utah his summer. She asks why so I tell her to pick up the 5th wheel camper we bought. It was already paid for and she never had time to get mad.

vrodbrad said:
So I asked the wife if I could turn the chest freezer into a keezer and she said hell no:mad:(. Well there goes that idea. I don't have the room to put one in at this point, and don't want to really bottle anymore. So I think for now I am going to get the tap a draft system. found a guy selling a fridge turned into a kegerator for 65 dollars here in klamath falls, OR, on craigslist, but like i said no room for that either dang it. but all well.:mug:

Sounds like your gonna have to put her down sir hahaha

You just have to drill down to what her primary objection is, then overcome that.

I have a small house, wife was worried about both size and looks. She pictured an ugly white chest freezer with tap handles. I made a very basic stained 4" collar with stainless tower. It came out looking way better that what she had pictured in her head and smaller. She loves it (it helps a lot that she really likes beer).

IMG_02931.jpg

It cost about $1k total, but I used only 1/3 of some extra money we got that we weren't counting on getting, so she got the other $2k for bills etc.

I went through the same thing with my wife. I made the keezer anyway. She wasn't too mad, and like others have said, it's easier to ask for foregiveness. Now we are to the point where she is willing to put a bar in the house. After several upgrades to equipment, fermentation chambers, etc. she now says "I don't know why you ask, you're just going to do whatever you want anyway." Her only requirement now is that I don't take up too much space in the garage with brewing equipment so she has room to park her car. I can live with that.

I built a two tap kegerator from a Danby 440, came out real nice with the chrome tower on top of the black fridge. The wifey liked the way it looked. Was going to put it in the living room next to the entertainment center, got a thumbs-down from the bride. So now it's in the corner of the dining room, which is not really a dining room (couch and chair, no dining set). We're both happy, and she's warming up to the idea of turning the room into a pub room with a formal bar. I'm a lucky guy, she likes good beer and likes me. Twenty six years together, compromise (and good beer) keeps the peace....

Back