Should I boil top off water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyblue

Reaction score
I am new to brewing (5 or 6 batches in) and brew with extracts in 2.5 gallon batches.

After my boils I usually end up with 1.25 gallons of wort and transfer that to my carboy. I need to add more water to reach the 2.5 gallon mark. Should I boil and cool this water first? I have not yet and have not had a problem. I buy spring water from the store.

Thanks!!!

The chances of getting an infection from bottled water from the store are quite low. Consider cleaning the outside of the container and spraying it down with your sanitizer before you pour, though.

You must have one hell of a burner if you're boiling off 50% of the total. Or you're usuing a smaller 3G pot or something. Maybe turn the heat down from a mad boil to a gently rolling one so as not to boil off so much.

I have never boiled top-off water in 20 years (on and off) of homebrewing. Some people have strong opinions about that, but my local tap water works just fine. Your mileage may vary.

unionrdr said:
You must have one hell of a burner if you're boiling off 50% of the total. Or you're usuing a smaller 3G pot or something. Maybe turn the heat down from a mad boil to a gently rolling one so as not to boil off so much.

I am only boiling 1.5G and adding the extract to that

SB - if your water is good to drink, you can top off with it without boiling it. Been doing it for 20+ years all over the US without an issue ever. Beer is tougher than most here give it credit for.

Cheers!

also use straight from the jug and in my small number of batches so far no issue

Back