Cascade hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltownbrewer

Reaction score
I was wondering, what people's thoughts and experiences have been on cascade hops with dry-hopping? I put cascade pellet hops 1.5 oz in a cream ale, and planned on leaving in for about two weeks, is this too long? I have been told that this would be to long and may create a grassy note in the beer. Who has had this problem and how long did you leave the hops in? Thanks.

i've done 18 days, 1 oz cascade dry hops in secondary for a sierra nevada pale ale that turned out just as good as the commercial beer. Also an IPA with 18 days of cascade with no problems.

although they might have a grassy note, I'm not really that picky - it's beer.

again, I'm not that picky. this "off flavours" thing seems to me to come from beer judging competitions as opposed to drinking a cold one on the deck.

They sure didn't taste like vegetables.

Do you notice much flavor from them or mainly aroma, cause I don't want to over power my cream ale with to much hop flavor, the wife doesn't like hops as much as I do.

Dry hopping in cream ale is pretty unorthodox, let alone citrusy hops like cascade. Keep this in mind if you're not happy with the results.

Cascade hops have a delicious grapefruity flavor. I recently brewed a Cascade SMaSH recipe and it tastes awesome.

philrose said:
Nah, not unheard of. Schlenkerla's Triple Hopped Miller Lite has had a lot of success on the forum and looks like nice beer :)

Heck, I had a dry hopped cider on Saturday (delightful).

I didn't mean to discourage you at all:mug:

No discouragement here, but I was thinking I should have maybe dry hopped an IPA for my first dry hop experience, oh well. I was also thinking of dry hopping a wheat beer with half ounce of lavender sometime, could be nice.

I dry hopped a Stone Levitation clone with 1.5 oz of Amarillo for 17 days and it picked up a veggie taste. It was bottled 3.5 weeks ago and the taste has calmed somewhat but it is still there. I think 7-10 days is ideal.

I usually dry hop 5-10 days depending on the hop and what I'm going for. Dry hopping won't add bitterness to the beer unless you leave some of the hop material in the beer.

I usually don't dry hop my cream ales but there's nothing wrong with it. But I'm one of the more liberal posters on here.

Latest posts

Back