B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Reaction score
Anybody have a good Russian Imperial Stout recipe that maybe something like BORIS.
I just had one this weekend from Hoppin Frog Brewery in Akron, OH.
From the bottle:
B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher (Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout)
9.4 ABV, OG 107, FG 38, IBU 60

This is the blackest beer I have ever seen. It is completely opaque even the last swallow in the glass. I think the 1.038 FG contributes to the "eats like a meal" mouth feel and opaqueness. I've made beers that had lower OG than the FG on this one.

Any ideas on where to start to recreate this incredible RIS.

Craig

A little bit of oats will help with the mouthfeel. I assume it's a very sweet beer? If so, stay away from black patent because it lends a bitterness, use roasted barley instead.

Toot said:
A little bit of oats will help with the mouthfeel. I assume it's a very sweet beer? If so, stay away from black patent because it lends a bitterness, use roasted barley instead.
It is sweet but the roast flavors seem to balance the malty sweetness as much as the hops does. So perhaps a little black patent is in there for balance but probably not too much. Still it must have alot of roasted grains given the color.
I will need to figure out how to do this as a partial mash with 12 pounds or less of grains, as that is my current limit.
How much oatmeal is too much for a beer this big?

Craig

Latest posts

Back